Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Picking ones poison

I've tried to balance out my symptoms as much as possible without resorting to drugs. Yesterday the queasiness was getting to me and I finally took a compazine. I know I have some medicinal chemists reading this who know that I spent a good portion of my working life making dopamine antagonists of various sorts. After studying their side-effects, I vowed never to take one. Indeed in the PDR, the list of side effects for compazine are longer than Adriamycin (although it does not cause heart failure). It did seem to get rid of my queasiness but I didn't feel good on it. Although I am still a little queasy today, much less so.

Before I took it, I was able to run 2 miles in the pouring rain. Somehow there was still ice out there but cardiovascular-wise I had no problems. Towards the end of the run, I didn't even feel my nausea.

There is a bball game tonight but Naomi is ineligible to play, which I don't understand the timing as her bad grade episode was last week. She's eligible to play next week though and they will have 2 home games-one on my chemo day. Hopefully I can go then. Tonight is in Tecumseh-a 90 mile round trip with little expressway driving against a team that lost all its starters. Maybe Coach Steve was able to pick which week to serve her sentence as she won't be needed tonight. He wouldn't have won the big game last week without her.

There is a breast cancer support group meeting tonight. Maybe I can go to that.

Every year our mom's group has a X-mas party but it doesn't look like it's going to happen this year which makes me sad. Too many conflicting schedules. I am still debating whether to put up a tree. I still have some energy so I could. It might cheer me up though it might be too attractive for Oliver.


S. F. Heron said...


What is your chemo regimen? Every 2 or 3 weeks?

Re: hair stuff. I found that the wigs are uncomfortable. Some people love em. Not me. I chose to buy a few cute hats (they have nice fleece ones are Target) and I wear those out of the house. In the house, I have two cotton caps.

You know those fleece headbands that people wear in the cold weather? Those are great for keeping your ears and neck warm but also hiding hair loss. Just slip one on before you put on your hat and you're good to go.

If you haven't cut your hair, it will start to tangle when it begins to fall out. I just let mine fall out as it wanted to and I didn't freak out. Some people shave their heads, some don't. It's such a personal decision. Do what feels good for you. Also, my onc nurse told me pretty much expect hair loss by day 13-14. She was right. I felt some burning sensations on my head and at times, my hair and head hurt. Jackie used to play with my hair all the time and that really hurt when she tugged on it.

I wear my hats all the time because it helps me feel put together. What I did notice is that I haul butt getting ready now :) I do put on more eyeliner and mascara and frankly, I feel as much like me as I did before with my waist length hair.

Give me a shout if you need anything or just a shoulder. Please try not to worry and just take good care of yourself.


Anonymous said...

Hi Sue -
I second what Sharon said about getting ready so quickly without hair to worry about. I have about three inches of hair now, and spending ten minutes on it is annoying. I also had fun wigs but almost always just wore hats. I had a head-shaving party, and it was one of the best times of my life.
Take care,


Blog Archive