Saturday, October 15, 2011

Hairageddon

I've been going to the same hairdresser for 15 years. Alas she is retiring to take care of her newborn. I suppose I could go to someone at the same salon where the formula for dealing with my hair is kept or try somewhere else. And what should I do with this hair? It is a mess. It looked all right for the first year after chemo that it came back. I actually had curls! But now my hair is almost straight and it is no longer silky and thick as it was before chemo. I don't know if it would look as good in the haircut I had before cancer.

It took some will power to face the 30 mph winds and drizzle this morning but I felt fine once I actually got going. The fallen leaves are quite slippery.

Tonight I was going to make a pear almond tart for the Moms but all I could find was unripe pears. I should learn to plan ahead.

SATURDAY BRAIN TEASERS

1. What is the singular of 'feces'?

2. The combined cost of a bat and a ball is $1.10. The Bat cost $1 more than the ball. How much does each of them cost?

3. About 10% of the American population is left-handed. What percentage of our Presidents have been lefties?

4. Why are the Renaissance baby Jesuses so ugly? (This is very subjective. My roommate and I noticed this ourselves while we were in the Pitti Palace and the Uffici in Florence. Madonna and child was a very common theme during the Renaissance. Although the Madonnas were usually pretty, the artists found some ugly babies to model. Today I found an article in the paper wondering out loud why those babies were so ugly. I thought we were the only ones who had noticed)

5. T or F. Post-menopausal women who take multivitamins outlive those who don't.

ANSWERS

1. Fex

2. Not $1 and 10 cents as most people including those who really should know better would answer. Try 5 cents and $1.05.

3.50%. No rational reason for this. One can make a case for why sports have more lefties, particularly baseball.

4. This was in the same article about lefties. Despite most people being righties, women usually hold babies with their left arms as it seems to make the babies happy. However, the madonnas and child models to get the lighting right were asked to hold the babies in their right arm leading to unhappy UGLY babies. Sort of far fetched I know.

5. F. The non vitamin consumers outlive the others by 2 years according to a recent study.

Naomi as a Renaissance model

Later as a model for Klimt

1 comment:

AnneMarie said...

The math one... back in the day, I would have easily gotten that. Chemobrain math? Definitely not. The left handed presidents? A few years ago, I noticed a clip of one of the former presidents signing something with his left hand and ever since, I've always watched.... seemed like there were lots of lefties (many recently?). Love the factoids... hope I can remember them!!!!!

Followers

Blog Archive