Thursday, October 18, 2012

You've made your bed, now lie in it.

I always thought this was a silly aphorism, if you were to take it literally. Why would you you lie (or is it lay?) in a freshly made bed? But yes, I know what it means. But who has made this bed?

I like malapropisms. The other night on TV, someone referred to his mentoring attempt as taking him under his belt. And there was the man at work who would start sentences with It always ceases to amaze me. He was the one who hated to be looked over his shoulder with a fine toothed comb.

The other day, two women were comparing chemo symptoms. One finally said something about being in the same boat. I wanted to pipe in that Stage 1 BC is not the same boat as Stage 4 BC. Not the same boat at all. But to be fair, each did not know the others' story and anyway, they were just trying to make a connection. Who am I to get all pedantic on them? Or tell the person who said that the doctor told her that she was cancer-free that he really said that she had no evidence of disease, which is hardly the same. No one can ever be deemed 'cancer-free'. Who am I to destroy hope?

It is a dark and dreary day in the land of ex-tumors. A big storm front is coming through making running hazardous. There might be a break in the afternoon. Meanwhile, with my $3 Groupon, I'll get my nails done and then have happy hour with a friend.

And as for the title of this post, I'd love to shout it at someone but it would do no good.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I, too, am a stickler for correct grammar!! I had a huge debate with someone in our BC group who kept telling everyone she was cured and in remission and the rest of us should stop dwelling on the negative. I do not see myself as negative...simply realistic knowing that BC can resurface at any time.

Followers

Blog Archive