Sunday, March 20, 2011

Fate

"Is something wrong?", she said
Well of course there is, "you're still alive," she said
Oh, and do I deserve to be?
Is that the question? And if so, if so, who answers, who answers?

I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey I, oh, I'm still alive
Hey I, oh I'm still alive
Hey I, oh I'm still alive



FROM "ALIVE': VEDDER AND GOSSARD


Anytime some calamity takes place, you can be sure that someone will try to point out that somehow these people deserved it. Judge not lest ye be judged indeed. The Japanese disaster has been no exception.


We want the world to be a fair place: people should get what they deserved. I try to console myself when certain individuals seem to profit from doing me wrong, that there will be some sort of cosmic consequence. I wondered if my cancer was due to some sort of karma but seeing the little kids in the cancer ward answered that. They did nothing to deserve this.


When the Japanese story first was reported locally, they chose to highlight a local man whose vacation in Hawaii was impacted by big waves:no relaxing by the seashore for him. So many sad stories and this is what they focus on? Later they reported on another whose adult child was missing in Japan (since found a week later). This at least addressed the horror that many experienced: where are my loved ones?


In blogsphere, I follow many cancer survivors' stories especially ones that are similar to my own. Sometimes these people just seem to disappear: they have moved on. Recently one of them who was in treatment at the same time as myself for TNBC reappeared. She is currently awaiting biopsy results of a new mass that suddenly appeared. Her fear is palpable: please be benign, please!
This young mom certainly doesn't deserve to go through treatment again.


Recently the Supreme Court upheld the right of those so-called Christians to disrupt military funerals taunting the mourners with God wanted your son dead!
To me, this is similar to shouting Fire! for no reason in a crowded theater. And these "Christians" are obviously ignoring some key teachings of their presumed faith: see Love thy neighbor; judge not lest ye be judged, etc. But however abhorrent these people are, to deny them their right to spout their inanities  could lead to even greater dangers. Who is to judge what is appropriate?

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive