Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A year of healing

This is a transparency so it does not scan well. I am only a few months old here.Near my eyebrows, my skull has indentations which my mom told me were from forceps. Shanna ended up with those same indentations but no forceps were involved with her.
Me on my wedding day in 1977. I am cooking the wedding dinner

9th grade with my summer blonde, white lipstick, black eyeliner and a tie


With the crazy quilt I crochetted at some point during college. I am standing in front of Steven's Coop where I lived with several dear friends on this blog. It is not clear what color the building is but it's 'beach house' blue. We also had a red light bulb lit out front to give it that touch of class. Many good times. Unfortunately the building burned down 5 years ago.



I am 4 or 5 in this picture. My mom wasn't much for dealing with hair.


So now it's officially one year that I've been out of treatment. Only the scars remain and my sore shoulder, which is getting better. I can run more than an hour without stopping and I have had 2 haircuts. It is also my birthday. It seems like a very big number. In my mind, I am much, much younger. Who would have thought I'd be so old? But I am grateful to be so old. When I was diagnosed, it was not clear to me just how long I'd survive. In the support group, the moderator keeps trying to pinpoint what is the worst that we have survived; baldness? fatigue?isolation? but my answer is the thought of life going ahead without me.




3 comments:

Holly said...

so grateful for your year of healing! happy, happy birthday dear Sue...and many moooooooooooore...can you hear me singing all the way from Los Angeles??

Teri Bernstein said...

Oh, yes...Happy day, Happy year, Happy years to come!

I didn't know Stevens House had burned down! Did they rebuild it?
Boo Hoo. In my mind, it will always be there.

Anyway, I feel like I am 25 or 30 much of the time. So much for maturity...

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Thank you dear Holly!!!!
And my other LA buon'amica, I thought I told you about it or maybe I told Martha and/or John. Very sad. They were remodelling it so noone was in it. Something electrical..it was gone in a flash. There is this ugly building in its place. Not sure if it's a co-op but it sure lacks the character of the old house. I had the top floor room for a while with the loft and the bats.

Followers

Blog Archive