Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Test Anxiety

I will be so glad when this semester is over and cramming for tests is all done. Naomi will seem to understand things one day but when I quiz her the next, all is forgotten. There is a lot to cover in her anatomy/physiology class. On top of everything else, she will have panic attacks in the testing room. Her pulse races, she has difficulty breathing, and she sometimes blacks out. Since she has become pregnant, these attacks are more frequent: last week during the ultrasound and yesterday as we studied. I took her pulse: 104. But even after she seemed to calm down, the pulse remained high. According to the Merck Manual, a normal pulse of 70 will increase to 90 by the end of pregnancy but she is only 2/3 of the way done. But she says all went well today. Three more weeks and she'll take a break until the fall.
Loud storms all night. According to the weather map, I had an one hour window to get my run in. But the front suddenly veered north and we had beautiful weather instead.

I spent the afternoon with a former colleague comparing notes on the many challenges raising teenagers. It is comforting to know that I am not the only one facing this. An enjoyable time.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive