Thursday, June 25, 2009

Running advice

I am not a graceful person. I can't even run right. The kids all have requested at various times in the past that I don't run anywhere near their school (which was 2 miles down from where I worked)where I could be seen as I swing my arms in a ridiculous manner. The only time I didn't run this way is while I was recovering from the broken arm. To beat the heat this morning, I got up at 6 and soon was slowly chugging up the hill on the bike path when a walker stopped me. Excuse me, can I speak to you for a moment? Sure. Who told you to swing your arms that way? Sorry that's just the way I run. I ran off pissed that I didn't come up with something better than that.

She had a very annoyed look on her face. She was fat and around 40. It is doubtful that she's run a day in her life. I don't know why this bothered me. Maybe if I stuck around, she could tell me my hair style was unflattering too. You know, if you can't say anything nice, don't say it at all.

I had stopped because I assumed she wanted directions. People get confused between dhu Varen and Warren which are just a mile apart and the signs are often missing. Or they are trying to get on the Freeway, which they can see but no they will just have to turn around and get on 2 miles away. Sorry, I didn't plan the roads here.

I've often gotten running advice though people have always been nice about it. My favorite was at the end of a triathlon (running is the last event) and a man said that he knows that he really shouldn't tell me how to run as I had been ahead of him and I must have been a hell of a swimmer (no-I'm a crappy swimmer but a fairly good bike rider)but I could be much more efficient if only....yeah, yeah, yeah.

Despite how early it was, the heat was even more oppressive than the other days and I struggled to finish. A big storm system just went through that hopefully will cool everything down.

After the run, on to the dentist to get my crown placed. The assistant said there was a 95% chance I didn't need anesthesia. Well guess what, I am that 5% person. She put in banana flavored numbing oil to prepare for the Novocaine leaving a banana taste in my mouth for the next few hours. Hate bananas.

The Y approved my reduced fee scholarship so I can continue my workouts for the next 6 months. Yippy!

Did an IKEA run with my friend Martha this afternoon. She had never been.

4 comments:

Holly said...

perhaps the fat 40 year old wanted to know who your trainer was or to get advice about how to move her arms more effectively since you are attractive and thin and she maybe was hoping for some support or guidance....just a thought.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Oh Holly, you are so kind.

Sara Williams said...

I am with Holly, she probably just wanted some hints and tips.

I wouldnt worry about your arms, it shows that you are fluid and not tense. Tension when running (as you will know) can cause problems in itself so I think your running style is probably great!

Beth said...

What Holly said... And really, people just need to watch a marathon to see there are all kinds of runners out there, anyone can run, that's what is so great about it!

p.s. my husband has been known to call me 'grace' because like you, I am also not a graceful person.

Followers

Blog Archive