Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Double workout

I got out as soon as possible this morning to do my run before the sun became too hot. Afterwards, I hopped on my bike and rode for about the same distance. I will get in shape.In between, I came across my neighbor, formerly a walker, running. We cooled down together and she wants to bike with me. Cool. Biking long distances is something that should be done with a partner, more things can go wrong.

Aside from once becoming very lost in the Shawagunk Mountains, the only time I really needed help running is when I tripped on a tree root in the woods just minutes from my house. When I am in severe pain, I pass out. When Shanna drove me to the ER, they were more concerned with my low blood pressure than my arm. They assumed I passed out causing me to break my arm. No it was the other way around. The chief resident could not fathom why a middle age woman (assuming I live to108) was running. Was I escaping an abusive spouse?

Before cell phones, I once rode 60 miles to Julian, CA in the mountains and then back the next day. There are long stretches of complete wilderness. Yeah I got a flat tire. I figured I was about 2 miles away from a ranger station. Within a minute of my combination of running/walking with my lame bike, I was rescued by a friendly couple who drove me to a bike shop way far away.

1 comment:

Teri Bernstein said...

Did you read the article in the NYT last week about the wacky socialite moms who book double workouts at different gyms in Manhattan to stay uber fit? Hmmm...

Followers

Blog Archive