Monday, January 19, 2009

What is 'normal'

About 15 years ago when I was in the middle of dealing with Grave's Disease, the sweet, young doctor assigned to me, "Doogie", asked if I had 'increased urination' or did I ever have to get up in the middle of the night? I asked him whether most people get up in the night-I certainly knew plenty that do who didn't have Grave's Disease. He said that no, getting up in the middle of the night was not normal and he certainly never did. But he was "Doogie" and didn't have alot of life experience.

But now the situation is absurd. Cytoxan is a known bladder irritant and I get up 3 to 4 times a night. Plus I try to stay hydrated to flush it out as quickly as possible. A minor problem in the general scheme of things but one that makes sleep impossible. Still queasy into my 2nd week since treatment but it seems to be decreasing. My tastes have changed considerably. Sweet and chocolate bad: salty things good. Plain water bad-lemon or orange flavored water good. My eyes still burn.

While I was typing this, UM called me to remind me of my radiology oncology consult tomorrow. Fine, but I had no idea that I had one. Hopefully this Dr. P is open to the 3 week Canadian Study. I'm afraid that UM doesn't like to deviate one iota from 'standard protocol' even if there is evidence that there are improved protocols out there. But again, I don't have to stay at UM. I know they do the one week 'mammosite' at St. Joe's which I would not be a candidate for but it least shows that someone there is willing to try something else.

Still cold and snowy and I am antsy. It's MLK Day so Josh is off. He'll take me out for lunch. Finals start tomorrow and it is again pulling teeth trying to keep Naomi on top of her responsibilities. I let her out last night-scary as her friend is clueless driving around in the slush. She got stuck in our driveway. They like to hang-out at Bubble Island on campus. She insists they are not meeting up with anyone. Her friend is very attractive so I am sure they are finding boys out there. Naomi is 'back' with this boyfriend that she never sees. Apparently he is content just to talk to her for hours-she has had a series of young men like this.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,
Just wanted to drop you a note to let you know I'm thinking of you. It's cold and snowy in the Chicago area, too.
Hugs, Kathy

Followers

Blog Archive