Wednesday, October 15, 2008

triple negative

So I've been characterized as a triple negative (TNBC), which in general has a very bad prognosis due to its aggressiveness and lack of response to typical treatment. Only 15% of breast tumors are like mine and in general occur mainly in young black women. Go figure. The risk factors are different than 'normal' breast cancer. In general, having alot of kids decreases your chances of breast cancer but not so for triple negatives. It is hard for me to read about TNBC as it always starts with its grim characteristics but there may be a few positives. Some chemo regimes work better against it approaching survival rates of those hormone positive people. Also cutting out dietary fat doesn't seem to influence the survival of those positive people but it does for the TNBC. I have found a site devoted to TNBC as we are so different from the rest. Unfortunately it is more profitable for drug companies to target the majority tumors.

I hate just sitting here with the remnants of the tumor still in me.

Also Shanna is visiting her in-laws for the third day in a row. This really bothers me especially the mother-in-law who demands every other day appearances. I know she really loves her grandson but how about some compassion.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Hi Sue!

I'm ReneeST from the TNBC Foundation forum and No Surrender forum (www.nosurrenderbreastcancerhelp.com).

I was diagnosed with TNBC in June 2008, surgery in August, re-excision in September and started Taxotere/Cytoxan October 2nd.

When I was first diagnosed, my husband and I did a lot of research. The information on the Internet is grim. My advice is to NOT read anything that is over 2 or 3 years old. Major strides have been made in the last 3-4 years on treating TNBC. If we had to be diagnosed with TNBC, 2008 is much better than 2000.

Not sure if you have had a chance to read everything on the TNBC forum - but has your surgeon talked to you about having a Power Port for chemo? Not sure when you 2nd surgery is, but if it hasn't occurred, the port can be installed at the same time.

It is a scary time you are in right now. From one who has been where you are, it does get better. And you get to breathe again!

~Renee

Followers

Blog Archive