Wednesday, September 26, 2012

ArtPrize: What the Truck?


Motorcycle parts family: for some reason lots of art this year featured motorcycles

To view this art we had to look through polarizing light filters: See below

Through the filter. As with so much of this art, you had to be there in person to appreciate

A series of otters carved from single pieces of walnut

My friend on a motorcycle

Giant Ford head. On my bike ride, there was a town full of these heads but I was in a van passing by when I saw them. Should have made the driver stop to take their pictures

All made from dryer lint. None of it was dyed. They collected the lint from various washings

Incredible pencil drawing that was 30 ft long

Detail of drawing

Waterfall from broken glass

Huge drawing that this is only a part of. Probably will win this year's prize. 

The little frames are childhood photos making the larger photo of the adult

The City Band from afar so you can get some idea of its size. The artist was on hand to give the whole story of it

Installation of my friend's friend: Faces of the Homeless

Not part of ArtPrize but a gold mosaic ceiling of a church some art was in

My friend at lunch at a friend's sister's restaurant


Flower bower from cut metal


The art featured are these huge paper cut-out columns placed between the windows. Also booming in the background, was an organ piece celebrating Easter that was an ArtPrize entry The church features a beautiful original Tiffany window that I could only poorly capture (I am waiting for my friend's much better photo taken with her 10x more expensive camera)
My poor attempt to capture the Tiffany

The side windows were easier to photograph
Hundreds of volunteers swarm the streets to answer any possible questions the visitor may have. My question: why does it say What the Truck on the back of your bib? She was flummoxed. She had no idea that was on her back. Apparently it an advertisement for a business that provided the bibs.

Yesterday, my friend took 330 photos. I only took about 90. I will post more later.
There are 161 venues for ArtPrize. It is impossible to visit even half of them in one day. Perhaps I will return next week with my SIL who is coming tomorrow. Some of my favorites do not photograph like this huge carousal with strings of gossamer bats with changing lighting that flap their wings and circle to opera. Quite the show. Maybe there is a Youtube video of it. The installation that me and my friend will vote for, I can't even begin to describe. It won't win because it is in a minor venue.  But it was fantastic!

This is the third year of the competition. They have extended it to last for a whole month. We get to vote on what we think is the best art. As there is prize money, the artists are out there canvassing your vote. Some venues get visited more than others so exposure is not equal. It would be easy to overlook a perfectly painted entry. Big installations get the attention and votes. They do have real judges go through and more fairly assess the work in a separate competition.

Due to my silly plantar fasciitis acting up, we didn't visit as many venues as last year.Also I got a flare up that I didn't notice until today, of my golfer's vasculitis, an ugly red rash on my calf.  But it was a beautiful, wonderful day!

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive