Thursday, October 13, 2016

Presto pesto!

Fall is great for beautiful sunsets and sunrises
Tess in her school photo looks a lot like her mom
Cooper's hawk likes to hang out around my feeders
Even though I prefer to have an orange and blue lamp, this looked so pretty I bought it anyway
Big sky: while running this morning, I observed large clouds coming and going. Very pretty
We will be seeing more of her
today's lunch place
A pretty day; I hoped to eat outside but too cold

Traditional pesto is a mix of basil, parmesan cheese, pinenuts and garlic ground with a pestle (pesto is Italian for pestle) into a paste. As we learned in our Cooking for Survivors class yesterday, many substitutions can be made. My favorite one yesterday was a mix of kale, sage, pecans and cheese which initially sounded disgusting but it turned out to be quite tasty especially served over roasted vegetables. I didn't plant kale this year but the mild winter enabled last year's kale to survive and thrive to the point of taking over my garden. As I have now all this 'free food', I tried to make some steamed kale the other day. Not loving it. But maybe I will if I prepare it the way it was last night. Another pesto was made from cashews, arugula, and spinach served on toast rounds with roasted peppers, roasted eggplant, and goat cheese. Yet another with sun-dried tomatoes and cilantro.

I hadn't eaten anything but a few strawberries previously all day to the class and was starving but at least it was healthy food. I had picked up my friend to take her to class as her treatment for leukemia is making it difficult for he to see. The leukemia appears to be gone but the side effects of the treatment are still there, one causing irreversible changes. The class was fun. I should be using these recipes much more often as I try to return to my former self. Today was a step backwards as I had one beer at lunch, the first drink in 11 days, but I am mostly being observant.

I was the first to vote in my township. I went in just to register for an absentee ballot and found that today was the first day I could get one.  So that's done. Why am I not voting on Election Day? Well we might be gone but I pulled the geezer card again. Sixty year olds I guess are too feeble to show up in person..

Funny bumper sticker in the parking lot.

Vote for Bernie!
OK, then Hillary I guess.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I always vote early too.
Love the dragon flies on that lamp.
And pesto (in most of its variations.)

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I wish I could vote early in my state and just get this over. I want it to all go away quickly.

Pesto is so good on many things. I usually make it with the traditional basil or parsley. I recently used it to make pesto covered chicken with Italian ham. It was delicious!

Anonymous said...

Your little ones are growing up so fast! Kris

Followers

Blog Archive