Thursday, September 3, 2015

Cranes and treasures








From my bike ride yesterday: despite being 20 feet from these 4 foot high birds, they look tiny. I hear and see lots of cranes these days

5 minutes later I came across a flock of turkeys. Haven't seen any, except up north, since spring
Ominous storm clouds to the west. Rain never touched me or our present house but at least the grass got watered at the old
Find of the day: teapot lamp
yep it works
My pretty granddaughter in a rose frame
The shininess of my new vase makes it hard to photograph. This was a bit of a splurge for me
straw hatted granddaughter in a wicker frame

Still waiting for rain here. Presumably there was a 100% chance of it at 3 pm but that didn't happen. I should have watered everything, then it would have rained. At least 3 times this week, rain was predicted but evaded us at the last minute though I was lucky I didn't get caught up in it during my semi-long  bike ride yesterday.
 
Such strange dreams I've been having. Someone is going to pick me up (my old boyfriend Porkchops). I see his car and rush to get dressed to go out and meet him hating myself for not getting ready before hand, frantically trying to find everything and trying to get things to fit, which nothing does. I wake up wondering why can't I be more prepared?
 
I fall asleep again and now I am lying on a cot in a public area such as the Superdome. An annoying colleague comes up to me and asks why I am just lying there. Sadly, I told him, I am waiting on a bone marrow transplant. He says something mean and I am left dreading the transplant only to wake up and realize, I am not having a transplant, my friend is. Right before my dream, I was listening to a podcast about a woman getting one for untreateable lymphoma about 10 years ago. Then, they only had one good antinausea drug and it was like pulling teeth to get it. She had begged for it as she was well read and knew about it but in the end, they ignored her wishes. Now they have even better drugs to at least make the nausea much more tolerable. Chemo in the past was pure torture.
 
My friend is scheduled to begin her 'blast' in a week.  A blast is when they destroy all her bone marrow with chemo. Of course, all fast growing cells are killed too. They have to fine tune the dose as too little and she is left with her bad marrow producing her defective red blood cells. Too much and she is dead. Usually they base dose on weight but studies in Seattle (I think where my SIL works) will be done to see how fast she metabolizes a trial drug. Before that, they will have collected stem cells from her brother.
 
Another 5 days of heat and humidity. Not happy with it.
 
Saw Shanna's children (and Shanna) yesterday followed by Naomi and Maya. Good to see them all. Maya now spends half of her time with her father whose girlfriend has 3 kids, one being an adorable little girl Maya's age. He brought her over yesterday and the two of them chased each other around the yard. Both can run incredibly fast. Today, back to 'junk' collecting. There was a beautiful vase I saw at the fancy resale shop. I didn't buy it last week as it was pricy but I thought it over and decided to go get it. It was gone but I found thelamp pictured above. And my art noveau porcelain vase.
 
Oh I hear thunder. Will it really rain this time?

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Love that teapot.
Fingers and toes crossed for your friend.

Teri Bernstein said...

I love that teapot as well. Extraordinary!

Followers

Blog Archive