Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Do we really want to know?

Josh's blondies
beautiful sunset the other night
two of my hairdressers hens the other day. She just got a dozen little chicks in the mail the other day. Maybe she can start giving me eggs in 6 months again. The hawks are tough on her flock
A friend had a raccoon chew through her new hummingbird feeder. At least Rocky would just knock mine down
lobelia

Now 23 and Me will scan your genes to predict whether you will get Alzheimer's or Parkinson's disease. It is not 100% accurate but is fairly predictive. They also test for a few other conditions but those are less prevalent. They do have you sign a waiver warning that the results may be profoundly depressing. Do I want to do this? My mom died from Alzheimer's and her father presumably died from Parkinson's Disease. None of her large family had these conditions too. Also there is that touchy problem that these results may get into the wrong hands and be used against you especially if those assholes repeal that provision of the AHA.

A friend recently did this but got good news.  I would like to get good news too but it wouldn't be worth the dark cloud I could get.

In the US, physicians legally have to inform patients of their medical condition. Not so else where. I was listening to a podcast about an American born woman who was told not to tell her Taiwanese grandmother that she was dying of cancer. She felt this wasn't right but as she wasn't her principal caregiver, it wasn't her call. They have a legend of two patients going in for tests. One had advanced cancer and the other healthy. But the results got crossed. The healthy person got the bad news, got depressed and died. The cancer patient got the good news and lived a long time worry free.

What I do is have poison ivy. I was being very careful pulling it up the other day but it was windy. I pulled up a long vine of it.  As I was trying to wrestle it into a bag, the wind made it flap against my arm. Not much of a touch but I have quite a few blisters that experience shows won't go away for another 10 days. I also could have brushed up against it walking with sandals in my bigger garden where it was hiding under other foliage. It affects me systemically. I have blisters even on my face along with both arms.

I have been busy. I installed floodlights that light up the front of the house at night though one of them was faulty and had to be returned. I figure they are cheaper than hiring an electrician to figure out why the electric ones failed. I had my friend over yesterday for lunch, who has had multiple medical issues. She finally felt healthy enough to drive out here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found out some of what my dna predicts(% wise)- peanut allergy, neither I nor my children have this allergy but my grandson does. Another predictor- a high % that I would be affected with neuropathy if given a taxol. Yes, I now have neuropathy. Another predictor-Aspirin would effect my blood negatively and yes, it does, cannot take.
Oh, and a high % that I would have breast cancer.
If I read this report 15 years ago, would have freaked out. :)
Kris

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I would never want to know. Why ruin the good days that I have left.

The first sign of poison ivy I call the doctor. I'm a baby and can't stand the itching for 10 days.

Elephant's Child said...

I would rather not know about conditions I may get where I can't do anything to avert/delay/treat it. If I can, it is a different issue.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Kris, I have that peanut allergy gene too though I do not have peanut allergies nor does Shanna (she does have a variety of animal dander allergies) her son and daughter do have peanut allergies, tough as peanut butter was one of the few foods her other son would eat. I never was tested for the BRAC1 gene though current guidelines say I should have been but I do have an annoying amount of minor genes that are linked to cancer

Followers

Blog Archive