Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Thirty-nine years....

This is us 39 years ago. Steve grew a beard while we were on our honeymoon. I am wearing a prom dress which now is in my closet. Good luck fitting into it.
A dozen roses
He knew I liked these clocks and got me one. The cupcake swings back and forth once a second
I jazzed up my anniversary cactus with some lights
He is waiting on the tree near the suet feeder for us to leave the bedroom so he can eat
A snow day for almost everyone yesterday
Maya came here

We got married in December because I could combine the few vacation days I had with the holidays to have enough time for a honeymoon. Steve had been working for the company 4 years so he had more. I was not a great believer in walking down the aisle with my father giving me away, dressed in white. I was all for finding a secular officiant but this did not sit well with my grandfather, not that he offered his minister. I knew the professor I worked for as an undergraduate once was a minister. I really liked him. Would he marry us? Alas, his license had lapsed but his friend would do it, a member of the Reorganized Church of Latter Day Saints.. Mormons!

Things have worked out for the most part. We got into a fight on the honeymoon (he smashed my car!) and I thought the marriage was over before it really begun. That was by far the worst fight we ever had. He jumped out of the car in some slummy neighborhood in Tampa. I thought he would return after walking off steam. I  waited and waited but he never came back though I thought there was a possibility that he was lost (he has no sense of direction). I had no money. What to do, what to do?

He had made it 5 miles or so to where we were staying.

We are going out tonight with Josh and Julie though Josh has no idea it's our anniversary. He can't remember his own.

It will be a while before I can resume running in the woods (the dirt road is covered with  snow). Meanwhile the shoulder of the big state road is fairly clear so that's where I've been running. It was 16 when I ventured out today but tomorrow and the nest day, it will be close to zero no thanks to the polar vortex. I wish we had last year's El Nino winter here. Warm and relatively snow free. After much fussing around, Steve messed with the spark plugs and got the snow blower to kick in. Will need it again Friday. Sigh.


2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Happy anniversary. You have clocked up a lot of years together, with all their ups and downs.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

Congratulations on your anniversary. I bet if you asked your husband what your first fight was about, he wouldn't remember. Women usually forgive but we never forget. Ours was on our honeymoon also and I can remember very well how I felt, he, on the other hand has no memory of it.

Followers

Blog Archive