Sunday, November 30, 2014

Matzoh ball soup



The Tyrolean cousin to matzoh balls: canederli. Instead of matzoh meal, they use stale bread for the starch. Also they usually flavor with speck, akin to bacon Not found in traditional matzoh balls

Thanksgiving means a leftover carcass. What  to do with it? Boil it in water several hours to make stock. With this stock, I make a big pot of matzoh ball soup. Jewish grandmothers take great pride in their fluffy matzoh balls. Yesterday I would have been the loser in that category because mine turned out particularly dense. Maybe I didn't beat the eggs long enough. I never use schmaltz, chicken fat, either sometimes using butter ( a strict no-no in Jewish cooking mixing dairy with meat), other times oil. But even if they were like lead balloons, they tasted good. A friend had her first bowl of matzoh ball soup here and liked it.
 
Other Jewish delights I have made over the years: latkes, noodle kugel, matzoh farfel, challah, hamantaschen and the most difficult, rugelach. (the cream cheese dough needs to be handled carefully). Steve likes gefilte fish too (and chopped liver) but I won't make them. He buys the former in glass jars and it looks so gross to me.
 
 
It was 50 degrees when I awoke this morning so I was able to bicycle in comfort. I feel so good when I am out there. Then Josh came over for lunch. Otherwise, a very low key day.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Despite my Jewish heritage (my father was Jewish) most of these dishes are something I haven't tried. Some day...

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Are there any Jewish delicatessens in your city EC?

Elephant's Child said...

Not that I know of. Some research is required. After Christmas.

Followers

Blog Archive