Sunday, November 20, 2022

The cutest town: Rothenberg

 This was an extra excursion. Included in the price of the trip is a daily excursion but we opted to do two extra. I debated myself on this one, aren’t we going to see enough cute houses and towns? But this is always on the top of the list so….

We were picked up very early in Karlstadt named for Charles the Man according to our guide (Charlemagne)our guides’  English varied considerably. My favorite was a man who could not say ‘r’s 

Awistocats on the Wine

In Miltenberg we had a Scot wearing lederhosen  He was easy to understand 

We traveled through vineyards and windmills, the modern kind for more than an hour until we reached the epitome of cuteness

This is a famous Christmas store Kathe Wofforde? whose headquarters are here Very thrilling to many of my fellow cruisers me I preferred the arty woolen shops with unique scarves and coats. I am kicking myself for not getting a one of a kind coat
Towns were always built on top of hills and surrounded by walls   Here is looking down.  This town is the Franconian region of Germany which is full of wine drinkers instead of the beer drinkers of Bavaria. I am not sure how Franconia became absorbed by Bavaria 

Outside the walls
As the ability to read was rare, the signs were a hint what business lay inside
This was the kinder catcher featured in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Rathaus 

pope Benedict lived here for a while





Our boat stopping in Karlstadt 
Ancient mill outside of town 
Gates within gates


These were a Franconian delicacy known as schneeballen (snowballs) very light. Tasted like Polish angel wings





Us at their iconic intersection. Look up Rothenberg and this is what you see minus these old people 





That over the top Christmas store again
Outside the gate
Steve’s very heady beer.  Included was a Franconian lunch. Very potato heavy and I am not a fan   As it is wine region, I went with that. Apfelstrudel was good though


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive