Tuesday, November 22, 2022

The capital of Nazis and ginger bread

 This would be Nuremberg. It is also known for its Christmas market which they were setting up when we arrived. There are special cruises that just go to Christmas markets. Anyway it was cold and raining and I think I was at the peak of feeling sick so I passed on the afternoon self exploration and slept instead 

They started with a bus tour though it was hard seeing through the rainy windows  We did the Nazi highlights: the zeppelin landing ground where all the troops would assemble and Hitler would have his rallies. Why not Berlin? He thought Nuremberg was the most German of cities and Nazi support was especially strong. Later the Nazi war crimes trials were conducted in the Palace of Justice  there which we also went by. And we have the Nuremberg defense:

I only did what I was told to

As for their famous gingerbread, lebkuchen, it isn’t as good as American gingerbread. My mom would try to make it and I didn’t like it then. We bought some from the many competing shops. No still don’t like it despite it being made from mostly nuts.  Too dry. They also had gluhwein stands all over which would felt good on my sore throat but would make me pee   WCs were hard to find and rarely free. 50 euro cents in Germany; one euro in Austria and Hungary though the latter would be cheaper if we had Florines 

The old town was high on a hill and surrounded by very old walls
The old castle 
More old walls
It would be nice if blogger would pay attention to the order I add things but it has a mind of its own. This is crab salad   Very fancy
Part of the huge Palace of Justice complex
This was called the beautiful fountain where we were to meet. Hard to see it’s glory in this photo
Lebkuchen on the left. The other goodies looked better to me
My dessert on the bottom: beetroot cake. I always try to try new things. This was a miss  on top Steve’s go to dessert ice cream sundae. They did have some unusual fruit sorbets I would try
More central Nuremberg 
Zeppelin landing grounds where Hitler spewed his venom
Church portal
Detail on church
Honey stand for the Christmas market 
This gigantic loaf of bread was in front of an Italian restaurant 
More Hitler stuff
The Dom
I liked this mosaic
From Nuremberg we entered the Main Danube canal only fairly recently built. Chock full of locks one lifted us up 78 feet. At one point we looked down and saw a road underneath our canal. how heavy a load our canal bridge was carrying? The canal was only 13 feet deep but still lots of heavy water
The Rathaus
Entry way to the Dom
Detail of the beautiful fountain 
The menu that night. They always have regional specialties

Display window 
Looking down 
Inside their gothic cathedral. Nice stained glass
Modern organ
The canal at night. Barely room for our ship


No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive