Saturday, November 26, 2022

Melk

 The main attraction of MElk is an extremely ornate abbey high on a hill. I was very annoyed when we were told no interior photos would be allowed as it would cut into their gift shop sales. So I wouldn’t even go into their gift shops. We paid money to see the abbey, I think we should be able to take pictures. I did sneak a few photos of the staircase by lagging behind though the guide said something about how slowly I climb stairs. The place was encased in fog   Afterwards we walked down to the town which was very cute before finding the boat.

Ah blogger! It has become so difficult to use. I have trouble making comments on others blogs and unless I load photos individually, they rearrange the order. This is downtown MElk

There were extensive gardens but the main one was closed to us

Ever present fog
Lots of schnapps shops. This is the distilling device used by do it your sellers
The abbey from below

The abbey is huge
The double headed eagle seems to be the town’s motif
One of my illicit shots of the stairwell 
There is the double headed eagle again on top

Town square

There was mirror at the bottom of the staircase so you could see up
Entering the gardens 


Looking down the long corredor 
Sso ornate inside. Should have taken photos despite the prohibition. As monks were supposed to take a vow of poverty, how does all this luxury jive with that. Their rationale, glorifying God is never wrong 
One would think of Austria as a cold place yet there are palm trees 
hubby at the entrance 
My fellow travelers

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive