Thursday, August 2, 2018

Since I've been back

Lots of flowers though the drought has been tough on many of them

she loves bugs

this zucchini is huge next to a normal sized one. Lots of squash, tomatoes and peppers now. Even the cauliflower looks good

my glass tile from the gallery up north

Murano glass from the upscale resale

hummingbird moth. From the side, looks like the bird

naomi, wish she did not dye her beautiful red hair black
lots of hummingbirds battling it out 

wish I seen this but didn't: Chalk art fair

my friend took this

a friend from the past visited me today. Hadn't seen her since college. Hadn't been friends since 6th grade. She really looks very much the same as she did as a 11 year old


I've been back from my bike ride for almost 2 weeks now but I have managed to keep busy. To beat the heat and traffic, I start my bike rides  in the predawn darkness going on the smooth shoulders of the nearby road covered with flashing lights. Bonus, a mile of my path was repaved while I was gone so more smooth road. But the rides are not so pleasant as the spring. Instead of spring blossoms, wild phlox, sweet grass, I smell road kill. Today on my run, I came across a momma turkey and about ten of her babies. No sign of the rest of the flock.

One night I saw a play in Chelsea with some of the moms about Rosie the Riveter and her co-workers. Interesting. I've had a lot of meals out which is not good for self control. At home, I do much better. We had a Mom's group one night which is always nice and I've had lunches out with friends. I have also seen all my grandbabies at one point or another.

We took Josh's girls swimming last weekend. Hannah up to now, hates the water but this time she seemed like she wanted to try. She got bolder and bolder clearly enjoying herself. Soon she thought she was ready to swim all by herself, which she is not. Not happy at being restricted.

Almost done with that dystopian Handmaid's Tale, sadly relevant these days with the fake religionists..

I was a very awkward elementary school student. Always had bad clothes, some of which I had inexpertly sewed myself. Chubby, too tall, hair that wouldn't stay combed, nerdy glasses.... a mess. Still I managed to have friends including a girl my age two doors down. We were die hard Beatle fans and would make up stories mostly them leaving their beautiful girlfriends and falling in love with our awkward 11 year old selves. I didn't realize my friend has these things written down though she couldn't find them today to bring them too me. She however was always pretty whereas I was repeatedly told, good thing you are smart because the way you look, you will have to support yourself. She always had boyfriends but at that age, boyfriends didn't speak to the actual girlfriend, just their intermediaries. I was that person. Boys were comfortable with me but it was clear, I was not girlfriend material. Luckily as I got older, there were enough men who didn't get the memo.

We stopped being friends in junior high. I assume I was just too nerdy but we have been communicating via Facebook. So we met for lunch today and had a great time.

What's up for me? Going to a going away party for my biking buddy and a trip to Utah in 6 weeks which is unplanned except for airline tickets. A late fall trip in someplace exotic? Must think.

7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

All your activity puts me to shame.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Is that PatM? Your younger school years sound like mine :) Kris

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

No, not Pat M but the three of us sang a trio at a Christmas concert together. I had a cold a few days before the concert. My mother firmly believed that washing ones hair when you had a cold would give you pneumonia so for the concert I had especially stringy oily hair. I was so embarrassed. Everyone asked: why didn't you wash your hair? Bonus: my voice was even worse than usual. Fun times. Also I vowed never to listen to my mom's old wives tales.

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beachfront with my children.
I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She
put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.

She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had
to tell someone!

Followers

Blog Archive