Sunday, August 12, 2018

Night riders

do I want the turquoise and lapis lazuli necklace in the center? Yes I do but don't want to pay full price for it. Next week it will be discounted 10% though I risk someone else buying it

We went to a local vineyard yesterday. True the best grapes are grown on west side of the state, particularly the NW corner but small wineries have been popping up here. They used to let us have wine tastings while us sitting on the patio. Now they make us stand which I didn't feel like doing. Still a beautiful day with friends. Just picked a wine on stuck with it. Later bought fresh corn from an honor stand

My big fashion find. Where am I going to wear all these fancy dresses though this could pass for casual. Size 4 for $4. Hmmm...looks big for a 4. Then I recognized the fancy label, Helmut Lang. Similar dresses by him go for $500. Fits perfectly though I needed help from strangers to get it zipped and unzipped. Wish my hands weren't holding an imaginary belly

A pretty rock? Nope, fancy soap. I have very pretty bars all over the place, all smelling wonderful. Do I wash my hands with them? No, prefer liquid soap (also have an assortment of pretty aromas) but Steve does. I did get him to stop using that vile triclosan soap. He has stopped getting mysterious rashes since then too.


Days are getting shorter though the temperature has yet to drop to a tolerable level. I now get up extra early in the dark to ride and run. I am not the only one. A man in my neighborhood rides with this blindingly bright flood light, much brighter than cars' brights (whose owners love to blind me with them). The main aim is to be seen without becoming road kill. Studies show that a moving light attracts more attention than a stationary one so I have a neon flashing yellow light on my calf. But this doesn't help me see much so I have a head lamp on my forehead. The downside of this is all the insects that I attract with it. I don't like running with a headlamp as I need to get it very tight around my head not to slide while being bounced up and down which is uncomfortable. I have a simple flashing light that folds over and is held in place on my right shoulder. I don't see much of the road in front of me but I am travelling much slower than on my bike and the shoulders are pretty smooth here. I did try to run with my minimal lights on a dirt road yesterday which has uneven ground. The moon is almost non existent and on the dirt roads, no extra lights so it was sort of scary.

Maya loves to comb through my vegetable garden. She found several zucchinis for her father to take home. I've been baking spaghetti squash and then covering the strands with pesto. Healthy and good. I will have a large crop of butternut squash too. I thought I put in some acorn squash but they have yet to appear. Eating a lot of tomato and basil salads.

I went shopping with my friend with the numerous health issues the other day. I offered to drive but I lack a handicapped sticker which she really needs. Walking for more than a few minutes with her compromised lungs is difficult. We went to a store that you need a hairdresser's license to enter but as long as I have her with me, I am free to buy the high end beauty supplies for more than half off.

I haven't seen my grandbabies except Maya in 2 weeks, which makes me sad but I will see some of them today so yay for that.




1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

I admire your determination in continuing to exercise despite the heat.
Enjoy your time with the grandchildren.
And hooray for home grown tomatoes and basil.

Followers

Blog Archive