Friday, May 1, 2020

the return of the orioles

As of last night we had 6 of these beautiful birds


we did not have any oranges when they first came, just strawberries and raspberries which they ignored. They do like the grape jelly

still trying to sell photos Above a mix of Costa Rica, Cordoba Barcelona and Ghent

May is when my favorite birds return. The earliest we ever had hummingbirds is April 28 which is when I put out my feeders. On April 29, I look up at the feeder outside my bedroom window and it was covered with orioles: 4 of them. Usually they come after the hummingbirds and not in flocks. By the next morning, there were six. On April 30th, yesterday, a hummingbird appeared. Still missing are my rose breasted grosbeaks and crowned sparrows. The swallows are back along with chipping sparrows. How my world has condensed! I would be preparing now to fly off to Europe. Not happening. At least the weather isn't completely awlful. I took Maya on a bike ride the other day and been riding by myself more than 800 miles since the year began. I am back to studying Italian. Hopefully all these languages will come in handy.

I shouldn't complain. We are healthy and financially we are OK. So many are not. Instead of bringing us together, this virus has polarized our country even more between the uneducated and those who can read. Our useless leader encourages civil disobedience telling his forces to protest against democratic governors. They are out in our capital maskless and equipped with guns. I wish nothing but the worst for them. Unfortunately they are just increasing the length of the lockdown. And even Republican governors can't catch a break. The Maryland governor complained his state didn't have enough masks. Don't come whining to me, he was told by Trump. His wife happens to be  Korean. She helped him arrange a purchase of a huge amount of masks from Korea.Now he is hiding them so Trump can't seize them.

My favorite was Pence showing up in a hospital without a mask. So much for leading by example.

7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I glad that those beautiful birds are returning, and that you are able to continue to ride.
I am also very thankful that our politicians are (for the moment) united against the common foe.
My city achieved a milestone a few days ago. We currently have NO active Covid 19 cases (or none known). If, and only if, this continues steps will be taken to lift our (fairly soft) lockdown.

Anonymous said...

The suggestion of disinfectant and strong light for me was surreal! I couldn't believe it, I had to listen three, four times, to realize that there was no editing and that it was not out of context. I was speechless! I couldn't find words to classify that! The great commander-in-bleach !

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I especially admire the leader of New Zealand. Good for Australia being able to learn from others mistakes and contain the virus. We have too many stupid people in charge. We do have a good governor but the gun toting cretins won't leave her alone.

Commander in Bleach? He is completely unable to think critically.

Snowbrush said...

No orioles in Oregon--no cardinals either.

As soon as I heard about the capitol takeover, I thought of you. I don't know why more isn't being made of the fact that, instead of condemning these assholes, Trump called them "very good people" and insisted that your governor sit down with armed thugs and "negotiate." I wish the bastards had been shot dead, but since that didn't happen, I'm left to hope that they will die of the disease. Why Trump isn't guilty of insurrection for tweeting "Free Michigan," I can't imagine. I do know that, although he isn't the first person I ever hated, I never really understood what full-tilt hatred was until he came along.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I met a woman at the Audubon center in Seattle one winter. I was amazed that Anna hummingbirds were there in January. She said she do anything to see a cardinal, which are in my yard year around. I have seen gray cardinals in Arizona. Today my thrill was to see an Eastern bluebird (I guess you have mountain bluebirds) in my yard along with an orchard oriole.

I am not proud to live in a state that breeds 'those very good people' as Trump called them with their nooses, assault rifles and confederate flags. Timothy mcVey comes from here too. I am just hoping they are a very small minority. Some of them look quite vulnerable to Covid: obese and smoking. I won't shed a tear if they get the disease. And unless they live near a big city, they are out of luck being treated. I doubt many of them live in An Arbor or Detroit.

But assholes aren't confined to Michigan; The GOP leader in Kansas urged the masses to protest dressed in scrubs. She is presumably a physician. Despite Trump's ivy league education(you know he never attended a day of classes and judging from his vocabulary, not sure I he even went to junior high) he might be excused for being stupid despite all the experts he has on hand. That woman has no excuse.

I see there is even a worse leader than Trump, if it could be imagined. That guy in Brazil.

Snowbrush said...

"I wish nothing but the worst for them."

Ha! Could you give some examples, as in, "I hate them SO much that I wish..."? Peggy never took an interest in the news until Trump came along, and she spends a good bit of time wishing him dead. I object that simply dying isn't enough.

A major winter species here are juncos, but Spring comes, and they ALL leave. Where they go, I don't know, I just know that our feeder is suddenly empty. Have I mentioned that I feed squirrels--purposefully? Our main squirrel is called the Douglas, and it lives nowhere but the Pacific Northwest. As you mentioned in the comment section to another post, we have Anas Hummingbirds, and they stay year round. We also have Rubous Hummingbirds, but we don't see them in the winter. In Mississippi, we had Ruby Throat Hummingbirds, so I'm wondering if you have them.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

We get juncos here too called 'snowbirds' that breed up north of us. There is a bird (not here) called an Oregon junco I see in Seattle but it stays year around. It looks different with a black head. Even though it is now snowing (May 8th!!!), our juncos left a few weeks ago.

We only get ruby throated hummingbirds, not the variety the West Coast gets. I think I saw the most varieties in Arizona.

I don't mind squirrels as they just pick up seeds the birds drop but chipmunks raid everything.

What do I wish for Trump? A good case of covid, one that he is still conscious but is struggling to breathe. I do want it to last a while so perhaps he would have time to consider the stupid things he has said about it. He can be treated with bleach, uv light and Lysol. At least his English counterpoint now knows how stupid he was to ignore the threat.

Followers

Blog Archive