Friday, May 15, 2020

These are good people

Josh's girls. I don't get to see them inside, only outside at a distance

got a new phone which has 'portrait mode' which I am trying out here with Steve

Mother's Day gifts. I am hoping that the house wrens will nest in the birdhouse. I do have a hollow gourd near my garden they have been flitting in and out of. Good insect eaters and sing prettily though they are not much to look at

Chocolate salami made to amuse grandkids. Nuts would make it look more salami like but some of the kids are allergic or hate nuts Very fudgy

I now have at least 10 Baltimore and orchard orioles. They come often to the hummingbird feeder near my bed scaring away the hummingbirds. I do have at least one feeder that birds can't perch on. Orioles can't drink without perching. Years ago during a garden tour, I asked a woman why she put her feeder 100 feet from her house. She said orioles will never come near a house. Mine didn't get the memo.
Who are these good people as Trump calls them? They are storming our state capital with assault rifles, axes, and my favorite: a Barbie doll with Gretchen like hair hanging from a noose. They had a Facebook group, until Facebook took it down saying that they will string our governor up for having the nerve to try to save their pathetic ignorant lives. Of course they are just extending the time we are all in quarantine. As they are saying they want to kill our governor, shouldn't the FBI be watching them? I only hope so.

Even if our state 'opens up" I don't see myself wanting to go to movies or sit in a crowded restaurant. We now can buy plants but we can't get or sprinklers turned on for another two weeks. I should at least be preparing the beds but my heart is not in it. Finally we got someone out to fix the mower.

I feed and watch my birds. The catbirds like to eat up the oriole food. They are the birds you hear but not see as they usually hide in the underbrush making their suffering cat noises or cat in heat sounds. I knew they were classified as 'mimics' but I thought it was because they could imitate a cat but recently I heard a video in which one male catbird knew about twenty different bird calls plus a few tree frog sounds thrown in. It turns out that they learn as many songs as possible to impress the females. Mockingbirds do the same thing though I don't think we have them. I did notice them in California. As there are few songbirds there to imitate, they imitate the car alarms and all their annoying sounds.

I did see my kids separately on Mother's Day. No special dinners out though I was glad to see them. When will things be normal again?

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

My city is opening up. Slowly. And I am happy to wait before going to crowded places.
Those 'good people' don't meet my definitions. At all.
Love your birds. Of course.

Followers

Blog Archive