Friday, May 8, 2020

life in the time of covid

Baltimore oriole from last week. Have about 6 of them

and now I have 2 of its cousins, the orchard oriole: chestnut brown instead of bright orange and skinnier

a pair of rose breasted grosbeaks though only the male has a rose breast

zooming wth Great grandma who will turn 96 in October. Each of my kids had a daughter with them

orchard oriole

Somehow I naively believed this would be over by now. If you are sick for 2 weeks and have no contact with anyone, surely after a few weeks this virus would die down. Since we have mandatory social distancing, new cases are slowing down but some people refuse  to not congregate. If it weren't for Covid, I would be on my dream trip right now which makes me sad but in the scheme of things as long as I and mine stay healthy I will be OK. As I live in the 'sticks'  can run and bike and barely see another person. This is week 8 or maybe 9, I lose track. Bad news started coming around March 12.

Right now the Michigan House of representatives, a sorry group of uneducated, religious right, are trying to sue our governor for 'abuse of power'

How do I spend my days? Well not shopping anymore or visiting my friends and family except by Zoom. Maya and Naomi do come by and we try to stay outside. I have seen my other kids outside. But tomorrow we will have 'thundersnow'. I have invited a friend to sit at a distance on my porch. I should be gardening except 1. it's too cold 2. we can't get our water turned on until the end of the month. Things are breaking down and noone can come in to fix things. I do my language lessons. Do my killer sudoku. Feed my birds. Watch TV at night with Steve. Just finished 'unorthodox' about a woman escaping a hasdic Jewish sect in Brooklyn.

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I really need to get on top of Zoom.
And fear we have months more of this to come. We are slowly emerging from lockdown but our Prime Minister has said a) that there will be more cases and b) that he doesn't want to retreat to another lockdown.
Business and the economy are his priorities. Sound familiar?

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Some of my grandkids' classes use google hangouts. The free version of Zoom kicks you off after 40 minutes but if my sister in law 'hosts' she has the paid version as she needs it to teach school. It was a breakthrough for my mother-in-law to use Zoom though she needed help from an aide. She will have no way of seeing anybody without this as she is in assisted living.

The repulsives (republicans in denial) are suing our democratic governor for locking us down. States that have meatpacking plants are open for business. The meatpackers are faced with get Covid or lose their job with no employment. Scary times. I am glad I have the luxury of a place out in the country to hole up in.

Followers

Blog Archive