Sunday, December 11, 2022

Life on the boat

 It has been three weeks since we’ve returned and I’m still coughing. I feel OK during the day and still run and bike but night is awful with the coughing. What did I have? Probably Covid though I didn’t test until I got home and by then the test was negative. Early on the cruise we ate with a man sitting by himself. Was he alone? No his wife, very sick, was in their room. So either he was sick with no symptoms or about to get sick By the end, most people were hacking away. One of the sickest called a doctor in. allegedly tested negative for Covid. Unlike previous times, we didn’t have to prove we were negative to fly home though by then I felt fine

We met a lot of people and heard lots of interesting stories. I would forget their names which was embarrassing to me. We had lots of different companions 


I get up very early especially when I was the sickest getting hot liquids for my scratchy throat. There was always a coffee bar   I would play on my phone, catch up on things such as the election pleasantly surprised that there were less repulsives than predicted and that there wasn’t so much voter intimidation. Are they finally tired of Trump? Let’s hope

Steve would eventually join me. I would clean up for breakfast. All the coffee would give me heartburn and I was running out of short term relief. It is more than a month later and I still have heartburn. What is going on? Side effect of Covid? Gained too much weight?  Too much alcohol? I stopped drinking when I got back. Still heartburn. Cut back on food and maybe lost the cruise weight, still heartburn. When I was fat I did have heartburn but by the time I lost 20 pounds or so it was gone.  I don’t think I weigh nearly that much. I am taking Prilosec now every other day hoping when I am done with the crud, that will be gone too

We had gotten this drink package thrown in that we could drink anything we wanted. Now Steve hasn’t drank anything for for than 12 years. He decided he could drink on the ship but fortunately he didn’t go crazy. 

We would have a drink or two in the lounge watching the world go by

Since we were repeat customers as about half of the ship was, they had a special cocktail party for us and gave us their awful aquavit and a set of glasses

In the lounge they had Roger the singer from Sicily who for the first few days was so loud we had to sit far from him but eventually someone lowered his mic  One night they had a clarinet and piano concert. They actually were quite good. The other nights there were various contests and classes but after dinner, around 8 I needed sleep 

The Norwegians made a drink, put it in oak casks and shipped it south. No one would buy it so they brought it back. It tasted better now after being in the heat and the casks so long so now they ship it across the equator and back.   Still not to my tastes
Crab and avocado salad
A sample dinner menu in which they would try to have local specialties. There was another page that never changed including Norwegian salmon

German night. Lots of tortes. I went for the Esterhazy torte which I will try to make for my group
Always pretzels. But Americans at least the ones around here make them better
On our way home about to land in Amsterdam as the sun came up. We got up at 2:30 am to catch a 6:30 am flight from Budapest an awful airport. The Amsterdam airport is very nice but we spent too much time in lines and running across to the right terminal to enjoy it
Impressive head to this Nuremberg beer
Mango tart
The bar
Schipohl airport 

2 comments:

Snowbrush said...

Peggy has acid relux pretty bad, and her gastro doctor recommended Pepcid over Prilosec because of some problems with Prilosec.

I've never been on a cruise and had never even heard of a "drink package," but immediately thought that there would no way in hell that I would buy the latter because, for me, it would be like going to an "all you can" eat" cafeteria. I suppose something to do with being frugal, but I tend to overdo it in such places.

I enjoyed your words and photos, and hope you get better very soon.

Anonymous said...

They threw in the drink special for ‘free’ Steve had stopped drinking for health reasons almost 13 years ago. He did drink one or two drinks every afternoon and wine at dinner. Since we’re been back he has only had a few drinks.
My heartburn fortunately got better. I am drinking a lot less

Followers

Blog Archive