Saturday, December 3, 2022

Budapest Redux

 I was less excited about seeing Budapest than the first time. It is run by a dictator who imposes his ‘Christian values’ upon every one. They call it a ‘family friendly ‘ country where you are encouraged to have as many kids as possible. If you have at least four, no income tax and lots of free family leave. Homosexuality is a crime. As they are part of the EU, much of their policies are not in alignment. Also they don’t use the euro so they can fleece tourists with absurd exchange rates so I wouldn’t buy anything there. And some venders go right in your face to market their wares. The German and Austrian goods seemed to be of much higher quality 

Last time we had a lying guide who told us outrageous stuff about their role in the extermination of the Jewish people. Budapest has the largest synagogue in Europe and had a huge Jewish population. But they had their own Iron Cross who might not had been as efficient as the Nazis but still killed quite a bit. This guide ignored all that though he pointed out the synagogue. He concentrated on teaching us Hungarian songs and danced. As for history he did say that the Magyars  came from the far east and their language is completely different than any European language. And as a people, the Magyars suffered a lot  by constantly being overrun by Ottomans, Austrians, Germans and the worst in his view, the Soviets 

And the weather was cold and raining. We were still not healthy. We took the included bus tour of Pest and then a walking tour of Buda. After lunch Steve and I ventured out on our own until it got dark  It was our last night and we had to pack to get up at 2:30 am for our 6:30 flight to Amsterdam 

Art museum 
Fisherman’s bastion complex in Buda
We arrived in Budapest. This is the parliament building as we floated by
From the Fisherman’s bastion you could see the Parliament building across the river 
Later we walked around the Parliament building  there was a huge uprising in 1956 against the Soviets. Thousands were mowed down by tanks.  This is a memorial to that

Green bridge through the rainy window 
St Stephan’s 
Ugly soviet era building 


Martyrs memorial 


Very fancy hotel 



Shoes on the Danube. The Iron Cross lined the Jewish people along the river, told them to take off their shoes which were particularly valuable and shot them into the river
A view of the shoes


Steve and the Parliament building 
Town square in Buda



This is how they recycle plastic bottles. They add the smashed bottles on one side and the caps on the other 
Where the Soviet secret police would torture dissidents 



St Stephan’s  surrounded by vans and blocked off as some movie was being filmed there


On their prime shopping street. I liked this art nouveau building 

Close up of fancy hotel
Plaque for Shoes on the Danube 
Inside St Stephans 
Pretty empty 


4 comments:

Snowbrush said...

Sue, I suppose you know that Viktor Orbán has been warmly embraced by America's Far Right who see him as a role model for how they would like to run our government. I would have the same trouble you did with visiting Hungary, and when I saw the shoes, I would feel that Hungary was not far from embracing the mentality that led to those killings. I no longer travel anyway, but if I did, I wouldn't want to visit any state where the Trumpian mentality reigned.

I like Steve's hat quite a lot. I own dozens of fedoras, yet all I wear anymore are caps because caps are tough, don't have to be removed when I'm driving, can be tossed anywhere when I take them off, and they shade my eyes better than hats However, they can't compete with a hat when it comes to beauty and elegance. Same with pretty shirts. I have dozens of them, but rarely wear anything other than a t-shirt.

Give my best to Steve. If you've posted a photo of him previously, I don't remember it. As cute as your grandkids are, I would also enjoy seeing more photos of you and Steve. Many--perhaps most--bloggers write as though they don't have a husband or wife, but I don't know how--or why--they do so. I just know that I can't write many posts without making some mention of Peggy. Yesterday, we celebrated our 51st anniversary.

Anonymous said...

Yes I know Orban is the far right darling. I have no idea if the people truly support him as the elections there are rigged. Recently he was seen wearing a scarf with an outline of ‘greater Hungary ‘ Not sure if he wants to grab Slovakia and maybe even The Czech Republic as that was part of the Hungarian empire. A good friend’s grandfather left Slovakia for the US as he resisted ‘Maygarization’ Didn’t want to speak Hungarian.
Of course there was the larger Austrian Hungarian empire previous to that but the Hapsburgs were calling the shots

Anonymous said...

Steve and I just celebrated our 45 th anniversary last week. I do have several pictures of him embedded. Less of me as I am the photographer though there a few. He has to wear a hat to protect against skin cancer which he had a pre cancer form of. His problem is that hats blow off. I have a sun hat with a drawstring (and a face net) I used while canoeing in the boundary waters last summer

Snowbrush said...

"He has to wear a hat to protect against skin cancer which he had a pre cancer form of."

I do too, and assume the problem is commonplace. Because I go in for my yearly check-ups, I assume that something else will kill me first. Peggy's father's preacher's wife (Southern Baptist) prayed to God to heal her skin cancer, the result being that she waited so long to get help that she lost most of her face before finally dying.

"His problem is that hats blow off."

Well, there are always caps, which work about as well and, I find, shield the eyes better. It's also possible to buy hats that come with straps. If I felt the need to wear a hat in situations that often involved wind, I would definitely go for one of those. If Steve thought he might want one, a good place to start looking would be REI, then hats, and then click on Safari Hats

Followers

Blog Archive