Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Coming home to Halloween. garden clean up and Covid

 So sad to return especially as I had left so much garden clean-up though we had a very late first frost so I could keep my flowers longer.

We had our own van from Passau to Munich. Viking likes to use Lufthansa which only has a very minor presence in Detroit. They must not have found a way for us to get back without using Air France, which I prefer greatly over Lufthansa. We were on the Autobahn driving a sedate 80 mph. However cars were passing us going way over 120. Due to our first leg being late and a very short time between flights in Paris, we had to run a mile from one side of the airport to the other in Paris. Not fun. We had to have the results of our latest covid test in hand. Without it, we'd have to pay $200 and possibly miss our flight.

Huge inflatable cat sculpture iin Paris airport
Kerrytown market in Ann Arbor

Downtown Garden store
Oliver, Tessa and Daniel
Maya
Naomi and I took Tessa and Maya trick or treating in Shanna's neighborhood where the houses are very close together and go all out for Halloween. We have yet to have a trick or treater at our house
It was calm and sunny when we started but soon became very windy and drizzly



Home of the chainsaw guy who chases the kids around with a chainsaw. Maya wanted no part in that so I took Tessa separately
Hannah and Allie
Found this lone mute swan in my yard. His head is lowered to charge me. He is angrily hissing.

Miss Hannah


It took a while to get used to our time change and then we had the end of Daylight savings which actually makes my life a bit easier for a while.

Every fall I dig up the sensitive to cold bulbs; glads, dahlias and cannas. Glads are easy but what a chore the others were. The bulbs had quadrupled in size if not in the case of cannas, grown twenty fold. Very difficult to dig up and I probably destroyed the dahlias.

All my tall flowers have morphed into brown sticks so I have been filling up bags and bags with those.

But I am pretty much done. I have also arranged two trips: California in 3 weeks and a Rhine cruise in the spring. Viking gave us very inconvenient flights due to their insistence on using crappy Lufthansa. I tried to change it to Delta, KLM or Air France but we would have to pay much more.

Although the Covid rate is going down in the US, it is rising in Michigan. Again Ann Arbor is an island surrounded by reality and the reality are uneducated rednecks who think vaccines are some liberal lie. I hate them.

Steve got his booster and Maya and Tessa just got their first shots though covid again has creeped into Maya's class. So her class is under quarantine AGAIN which is really inconvenient for parents who work or in Naomi's case going to school (she works and weekends when Maya's father finds time to pick up his daughter, not often lately.

8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Despite the efforts of the big stores Halloween hasn't taken off here.
Covid seems to be back under control. For the moment.

Anonymous said...

My cousin’s son-56 years old, died from covid a couple of weeks ago. He was against the vaccine but his last words were ‘get the vaccine.’
Kris

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I do hope you and yours got your vaccines, Kris. I am sorry about your cousin.
How are your daughter doing against their health battles? Miss your posts on Facebook

Due to shipping problems, there was presumably a shortage of Halloween supplies though you wouldn't know it going through Shanna's neighborhood. The kids did have trouble ordering costumes so they had to make do

Anonymous said...

Sue, another cousin and his 96 year old mother both have covid. He is anti vaccine, too. His mother is now on hospice. I will be getting the booster tomorrow. My daughters are stressed, especially, A, who never got a chance to fully recover from the surgeries and chemo regimen before heading back to work as a principal.
Kris

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

my 96 year old mother in law died of covid a few months ago despite being fully vaccinated. I don't know if you are aware but FEMA will pay up to $9000 of funeral expenses if covid was the cause We got our check after 2 months

I can't imagine the stresses being a principal during these times You have been gene tested?

Snowbrush said...

I look forward to reading about you CA trip because I know something about that state whereas I can't relate to Europe--although I enjoy the photos.

120 mph! I cannot begin to imagine that being safe, particularly for new drivers or elderly drivers, and it sure isn't good for the environment either. I'm, in a word, horrified, and to think that someone like yourself might be at risk of being rear-ended while doing 80!

I want the sleeping cat. Just tell me where I can get one, and I'll build onto my house because the cat looks as though it would fill every room of my house as it now is--it contains 1,250 sq ft.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I'm glad I wasn't driving. When I drove in Germany years ago, I stayed away from the Autobahn. I did take the French version but speeds were much slower though we were going through mountains. There is no lingering in the left lane as Americans like to do. The second they pass, back to the right lane

We are looking forward to California though we will be in the Bay area during the rainy season
Hope you aren't being flooded by the Northwest rains
Yes I loved the sleeping cat too

Snowbrush said...

Sue, so far as I'm aware the flooding has been confined to Washington. However, the prediction is for a wetter than average winter, and this has me concerned. We have quake insurance but no flood insurance, although we aren't many feet higher than the Willamette which is no more than a mile away.

Followers

Blog Archive