Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Their very last photo


This photo of these smiling young men was taken 25 minutes before their death

I have been busy gardening. Don't know what this is called. Initially there was a single stalk of blossoms that fell off shortly after I put it in a container. I was mad as it was pricey. But two weeks later lots of strange appearing blossoms appeared

And my peonies are in bloom

The lake I ride by on my 32 mile loop. Unfortunately construction will lengthen the loop considerably

Maya was thrilled to have her best friend sleep over for the very first time they are eating breakfast on Naomi's balcony

Blogger has changed their format not for the better. Very annoying. Cannot change photo size, change format of paragraphs. The top bar is full of puzzling icons. Why couldn't they leave it alone? Also they no longer have a version compatible with my iPhone. It took me five minutes to figure out which icon meant new post instead of a labelled button saying 'new post'. So this post won't look as polished as previous.

So the first photo is of 4 of Josh's fraternity brothers in a small plane 25 minutes before it crashed. The plane had recently passed a safety inspection, calm clear weather so the cause is puzzling. The plane nose dived to the ground. They liked to test the limits of various vehicles. Perhaps they were trying to do some aerial stunt? Meanwhile the father of the pilot was tracking the flight's progress on an app when the plane suddenly disappeared. He assumed a faulty app. The man that Josh was closest lived in New York so he didn't go to his funeral but 20 of his fraternity brothers and himself when to another brother's funeral fairly close to him this weekend.  Everything was outside. Very sad. That brother left a wife and two young kids.

I did see a plane crash when I was five or so at the Harris Hill glider port near Elmira New York. We lived close by in Corning. I remember it so clearly. How I was on the porch of the glider building next to a Coca-cola machine with the small plane rapidly crossing my field of vision from right to left until it crashed into trees maybe less than a mile away. Firetrucks were rushing to the site. It was not nose diving but it was clear to me it was crashing as it was going way faster than a landing plane.. Did the pilot die? My father said that he survived but I doubt it as the plane was going so fast when it hit.  I tried to look it up on line to no success

Despite it 'being in the middle of nowhere' as my father often complained about where we lived, Harris Hill is one of the larger glider ports n the country.  Elmira had the Schweitzer company, a maker of gliders. Not sure if there is demand   for gliders any more.

Our state is opening up as covid cases drop. They are rising in MAGA parts of the country though. MAGA vote refuse to wear masks so we tend to go to stores that the MAGA people don't frequent. I did host my mother's group on my patio last week. We sat at least 6 feet apart wearing masks

I've been spending hours upon hours on my gardens. Finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately I got poison ivy, a mild case but I was very, very careful. Apparenty not careful enough. It will be 90 today and it hasn't rained in 2 weeks so much time is spend watering. It is supposed to storm all day tomorrow so we will see. I have been biking and running a lot.

Now I can't find the 'publish' button or the  save button for that matter. Why did you wreck this Blogger?

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

You can revert (for the moment) to the 'legacy' version of blogger.
It is the photo issues which scare me most. I swapped, had a little play, and went back to the old version.
I do hope that Josh's fraternity brothers didn't realise what was happening and stayed smiling to the end.

Snowbrush said...

I'm so sorry about the crash, and of what you saw on that long ago day.

I, too, am bummed about Blogger. I think that a lot of things change simply so people can justify drawing a paycheck.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I know I can revert back to legacy blogger but it will disappear soon so I might as well get used to it. Really wish they left it alone.

Followers

Blog Archive