Thursday, August 8, 2019

The Dunning Kruger effect

I liked t light patterns in my new glasses

A friend made this neklace for me from her shell collection

Early morning on the patio

Lots of spaghetti squash  I like how it sends out tendrils to wrap around my deer screen

one of my baskets

they put a piano in Graffiti  Alley

Happy Hour with the Chosen Sisters
It turns out there is an official term for people who have absolutely no idea how incompetent they are. And it is not a rare syndrome either. Almost everyone has a blind spot in which they think they are really good at something  and they really suck at it. This term has been heaped on our clueless President. Does he know that he is not suited for the job? Does he really believe he is a genius?

I continue to improve. Most of the surgical pain is gone. I get very tired towards the end of the day and feel nauseated a lot. I also get hot flashes and cramping. I try to lift smaller weights and do nothing that involves my abdominal muscles. I have been bicycling early in the morning quite a bit. Hopefully it will keep me fit though my heart rate is much lower  biking than running. Maybe I will slowly return to running next week. The other day, I got a flat tire 5 miles from home. It was especially hot and I really didn't want to walk home. Steve however refused to answer the phone. He has a watch that alerts him to texts and phone messages but he chose to keep it off. Fortunately Naomi rescued me. The bike repair person was puzzled at the tear along the seam of the inner tube. How did I do that?  Could it be from over inflation? Yes it could.

While I was on the long bike ride, a man convinced me to put 100 psi pressure in my tires. Tires are rated for 60 psi. He said my ride will be so much easier. Dumb, dumb, dumb. And of course he did it to both tires. I am hoping that the older inner tube just didn't hold the air long or I am just waiting for the another flat. I guess I was lucky to get 300 miles in with a tire ready to blow.

Our hybrid has too small of a trunk so I couldn't take the whole bike in, just the rear tire. I sliced my finger good trying to get the chain back on the gears. Our other car was being lent out.

Summer is zipping by.  I do love sitting outside amongst the flowers sipping my coffee.  I converted some of the zucchini to noodles which I served several ways.  Went out one afternoon for Happy Hour which was fun. I continue to learn German which much of it is review. Never learned to speak it though so I am working on that.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I suspect that most of those afflicted with Dunning Kruger are in blissful ignorance.
And wonder where it comes into my life.
Glad you are improving.
And feel for you on the nausea front. New medication has left me feeling unwell for most of each day.

Anonymous said...

I rented on Amazon Prime, The Lives of Others, a German movie. Thought it was well done, English subtitles. Does listening to a foreign language (movie)help?
Kris

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Listening to German would help. Although it is easier to pronounce and understand than Dutch, I have a poor ear for sounds.

Every once in a while I find out that I have lived in blissful ignorance of some of my negative traits and then someone chooses to enlighten me. Ouch.

Hope the benefits of your new medication outweigh its downside EC.

Followers

Blog Archive