Friday, August 16, 2019

intermittant fasting

On a beautiful not too hot sunny Sunday afternoon, we went to a winery

One of Allie's games. Do I look like this granny? I do have my own teeth

As she is still a puppy, we were asked to walk her in the middle of the day. As it is almost a 40 mile round trip, I said make friends with the local teenagers or preteens

sunflowers bloom all over the place

at our cancer cooking class, the local hospital donates its farms vegetables

I grabbed as many of the peppers and eggplants without being too greedy

more of the veggies. They can keep the kale Tomatoes and basil are nice

Fibonacci pattern 

every few months we go to the local theater A fun night

I have glads and dahlias of various colors all over the place
I have been finally cleared by my doctor to resume my activities not that I was completely inactive as I recovered as I biked close to 400 miles.  But I limited the weights I lift and didn't run  so I gingerly resumed that.

Recently there was an article about intermittent fasting as a weight loss method and a cancer deterrent. Ideally there should be a 16 hour period each day. Let's say you dine at 5pm. Your next meal should be  9 am and light at that. Biggest meal should be lunch, then a light dinner. Presumably the same amount of calories concentrated in these 8 hours led to weight loss versus the same calories consumed spread out over a longer period. As for preventing cancer, cancer cells are much more dependent on sugar than normal cells and thus they starve. Some clinicians use metformin, a diabetic drug to lower blood sugar levels below normal to starve those cancer cells.

When I was on my 'big diet' I pretty much did this (no metformin) I would have a cup of coffee to wake up but I didn't eat a light breakfast until after I exercised which sometimes would be as late as 10 am. We eat dinner early and I try hard not to snack between meals. Somehow I am 4-5 pounds more than I was a year ago. This will go now that I can move freely.

Time is flittering by. I had been biking very early in the morning but daylight is coming later and later.

On our trip to rescue Josh's dog, we did go out for a change for lunch at a Polish restaurant. Dill pickle soup, It actually was quite tasty as were my pierogis (not on my usual diet of minimal carbs)

My former boyfriend has a chronic form of leukemia that requires a transfusion every 5 days. A stem cell transplant could cure him but that is fraught with problems such as my other friend has. He was put on an experimental drug 6 months ago which initially caused more harm than good but it gradually started working to the point that he hasn't needed a transfusion in 10 weeks which is very good news for him. My friend with lymphoma caused by the stem cell transplant to treat leukemia caused by the treatment of breast cancer is gradually getting weaker and weaker. Still she was told she'd not make it to July and it is nearly September

Aside from the veggies I got from my class which I roast, I have been awash in zucchini (one monster weighs 6 pounds) and spaghetti squash so we eat lots of vegetables here. My tomatoes are being stolen by rodents and not sure why my yellow squash don't go past the blossom stage. Still it is fun watching them all grow along with my flowers

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I try (not always successfully) to follow the 5:2 eating plan. When I do it works really well.
I loathe and detest giant zuchinin - and goodness don't they grow fast.
Glad you can resume your activity (legally).

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

The zucchini hide under the vines so that's how I missed it

Followers

Blog Archive