Saturday, January 19, 2019

Snow storm Harper

My photo 3 years ago of Mendocino. Not the view I am getting outside my window now

My nieces 33 years ago
Hannah had a birthday party last week. She is waiting for the cake

I collect pug stuff. Another pug cookie jar for me

this towel came with the jar but with the upright ears, it is a French bulldog, not a pug

Harper snowing on my parade. So far about 5 inches but we still have another 2 hours to go. Hate winter.

I was talking to my DC friend the other day who was complaining about having to trod through a foot of snow with his dog (who has very short legs) as his neighbors don't seem to own shovels or know how to use them. We must have even more snow, right? Nope, no snow in 2 months! Well this suddenly changed. Extra bonus, the temps will drop below zero. I guess my fantasy of skipping winter this year was just that.

Gradually we are taking little steps to improve our life. I fixed our central vac system this week (all clogged up; it wasn't sucking) and now we are back to two cars, ageing hulks as they may be. This almost didn't happen as right before Steve and Naomi were to spend the day at the Secretary of States's office, Steve noticed a lien on the title. With the insurance money from the deer herd collision, she was buying Josh's car from him. As he was in a long work meeting, he was hard to get a hold of. Naomi could only go there on Mondays and the next Monday was going to be a holiday. It looked like I was going to be carless for another 2 weeks. Unfortunately he didn't have anything to prove he paid off the loan. We'd have to call the creditor ourselves but that proved impossible as there were no working numbers for them. They ended up going to a Ford dealer who was nice enough to spend time contacting Ford credit and arranging for the fax that would release the car so the title could be registered, an ordeal but made possible by the kindness of strangers and some flexibility of the Secretary of State. I will no longer go to the one sort of near my house.

Hannah had a party. All her cousins except Maya came. It was fun.

We went to a hand pulled noodle place. The chef takes a log of dough. Within 30 seconds by repeated pullings, he turns it into a pile of noodles. Another 30 seconds boiling and it is done served with various toppings. Yes I know, I should be avoiding white flour products. One thing we didn't have the courage to try was a dessert: snow fungus papaya. Then on to see "The basis of sex" the early days of Ruth Bader Ginsburg what she had to put up with. I did like it though some of the characters were one dimensional. Another movie I watched was "Roma" which although Mexican, reminded me a lot of the Italian movies I watched in Italy for my summer abroad.

I did go to a meeting for people who seem to be in the same boat I recently found myself in. I've been dealing with it by burying my head in the sand but sooner or later, I will need to act.

Today we are snow bound. Perhaps Steve will go out with the snow blower before the temp drops too much.

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I would much prefer snow and negative temperatures to the ones we are enduring at the moment.
Hannah looks a bit ticked off waiting for her cake...

Anonymous said...

I couldn't resist commenting. Perfectly written!

Followers

Blog Archive