Sunday, January 27, 2019

Multiples of eleven


I didn't stay up to see the red dragon moon but as it rose last week, it looked neat. Somewhere I saw someone photograph a slice of baloney that had been attached to a window and called it the dragon moon
We have been getting nice sunsets and sunrises lately. I wish I ran with my camera last week. I was running by the local lake as the sun was rising. The sky and the icy lake reflected all this orange and pink light.

some of the 'elevens' celebrating their birthdays that are multiples of eleven. They aren't the only ones in our family\y: my son-in-law, my former son in-law, Shanna's mother-in-law and her mother will all have birthdays that are multiples of eleven

Crappy winter is here with all this snow and soon temperatures will top off at minus 1. The snow and ice storms last week meant no school for Maya for two days so we were called into service. And they will probably cancel school for at least another 2 days this week as students can't be expected to stand in the cold when it is minus twenty out. I hate winter. 

More minor annoyances: the condo association sent someone to fix the leak a week ago but it didn't fix it. Even thought it is their fault they screwed up, the association is fining us. Maybe the last 'fix' will work. I haven't heard any complaints. 

And my hair which looks positively awful right now. I normally would have had it fixed in December but I was too busy to drive out to the opposite end of the county. I did set up an appointment for last week but the night before, my hairdresser texts me to tell me she is cancelling it and furthermore, won't make any appointments until March. Argh! The woman that has multiple diseases that I take care of sometimes was very excited though. She was a hair dresser before becoming ill. She will cut my hair and allegedly style it way better and flattering than it usually is. She won't deal with color anymore but will tell the supplier exactly what I need with detailed instructions on how to apply it. Naomi will do that part. We will see. The small part of me that is vain was disappointed that I couldn't get this done before I was paid a visit the other day by my old boyfriend (not the wretched Trump lover; this one was a great improvement in many ways over that one). Although we keep in contact, I hadn't seen him in person in over forty years. He grew up in Ann Arbor and had a few people he wanted to see before he died, yes die.  He has a more indolent form of leukemia that my hairdresser had but the 'cure' is the same; stem cell transplant. However he doesn't believe he will survive it or escape the wretched graft versus host disease that plagues my friend. He is also 15 years older than she was when she got the transplant though he was in pretty good shape training for marathons and hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. The transplant is guaranteed severe pain whereas slowly fading away from lack of useful blood cells is not. He does get transfusions quite often and is trying a chemo that might cut down on him needing so many. He seems fairly at peace with this bad news.  I am certainly not at peace with various uncertainties I recently became aware of. I did bury my head in the sand for a while but as soon as I 'face' the music, all sorts of possible symptoms arise.

Anyway, it was a good visit though not on a particularly convenient day as it was Steve's and Oliver's birthday. I did manage to schedule it so I would have time to go out with Steve and later attend a family party for all the celebrants. 

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Some days life gets a bit overwhelming. And reading this post, I suspect I would be tempted to retire beneath the bed, velcro myself to the carpet and refuse to come out.
I hope the birthdays were good and that you move to a calmer/more pleasant space soon.
The condo fining you for a problem they caused? Hiss and spit.

Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove people from that service?
Cheers!

Followers

Blog Archive