Thursday, May 31, 2018

Ambien made me do it

This hibiscus usually spends the summer outside but it is too big to move. I liked the way the light filtered through the petals

Last night a friend invited me to a Thoretta Davis concert which was to be held outside at EMU. They moved it inside due to heat and the threat of a thunderstorm which eventually did come there but missed my house entirely despite me driving home in torrential rains

She is a local blues singer. I like her music but they didn't adjust the amps for inside so conversation was impossible

my vegetable garden in early morning. All that feathery stuff is rhubarb flowers which I had diligently cut off for a while so the plant would invest its energy into stalks. I harvested 16 cups of diced stems today, which I roasted. I've been harvesting quite a bit and as you can see I have lots more. Lettuce and Swiss chard is under fencing to deter rabbits and deer

Sweet Williams which I have lots of different colors. I planted seeds 3 years ago and got some weedy things with no flowers which came back the next year. Just as I was about to pull them out, I noticed blossom buds. My Californiz poppies will bloom all summer too

pinks

the pond

lots of planters and baskets I've made

Maya hugging Allie. They are more than 3 years apart but Maya weighs two pounds less. Doctor is concerned and will put her on some sort of appetite stimulant. Her ADHD drug wrecks her appetite. When it wears off, she becomes ravenous
selfie with my SIL Maya has one adult incisor next to a baby incisor. Looks strange

Sanofi put out a press release (unless this too is fake news) that its drug Ambien may have some undesirable side effects but turning one into a racist is not one of them. At any rate, good riddance to that coarse, vile woman. Never did like her.

Tomorrow I take off on my bike ride from Pittsburgh to Washington DC, an adventure. Unfortunately, Maryland has had lots of rain and parts of our trail is washed out so we will be doing some detours. And we will be in rain in the beginning. It will not be cold so I can pack lightly. I've been getting stuff together and stressing about things that could go wrong. I should be in shape for it.

In the meantime, I've undertook the Sisyphean task of weeding. Most will have to wait until I get back. It's been very hot and humid, not good for my running even when I am out there as the sun rises.

Most of the concert goers yesterday were about my age. All these people, will I know anyone? Turns out I did. Way back when I was a student teacher, a boy was in my class who went on to become a write for our local newspaper before it went under. Now he works for EMU. He married the daughter of my critic teacher and I worked with his mother-in-law so I did know who he was. I went up to him...no glimmer of recognition. I said I once was his AP chemistry teacher. Oh yes, you are Miss Maiden Name. But then he said, I couldn't be because I appear to be younger than him now. All his teachers are now very old. I was 21 when he was 17 so not too much different. He took a selfie of us to show his wife (who I did run into) and his mother-in-law.

I also ran into a former colleague whose daughter was once my daughter's best friend. His wife had cancer the same time I did though her treatment was much more brutal. Then she developed a completely different cancer and thought she had beaten that too but no, 5 years later she was dead. The man is a very quiet person but I think st night he said more to me than the 40 years I had known him all together.

Maya has to evaluated because of her ADHD often. Usually I go to support them but I thought Naomi could handle it. Not a good visit as Maya hadn't eaten all day and lost weight from the previous visit when she is supposed to be growing. She is thin but not bony thin. Changes are in store for both of them

I will be lucky to have phone service while I go through the mountains. Later.



8 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Good luck on your ride.
Love the sweet williams. Memory triggers. I have have to get some next year.

Camel Toe said...

I'm still writing about our simple life. I'm not sure you can even call it a blog, but it's still there. I love reading yours & glad you've kept yours more personal instead of making it a "business".
Make SLime With western-weaboo blog

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

The sweet Williams took awhile to get going, a year before I got blossoms. I rarely see them for sale but fortunately now they are established. I will dead head them all summer letting some go to seed to make sure I get more next year.

Kat&Chris said...

Beautiful flowers and grandkids. Enjoy your ride!

Kathy

Snowbrush said...

I've taken Ambien for years. Most nights, I take the large size (10mgs) at bedtime, and then I take a half a 10mg halfway through the night, this along with two other kinds of pills that make me sleep. Even so, pain keeps me awake, and, of course, I can't sleep without pills anymore anyway. Two weeks ago, I went for my first appt with a PA for cognitive therapy sleep counseling. Right away, he told me that people who take Ambien have higher rates of dementia. I asked him if this is a case of correlation or causation, and he didn't seemed uncertain. A bit later, he said something else shocking, and again, he didn't seemed to know anything beyond his original statement. I thought, you idiot, you throw out frightening information that you picked up god knows where, and you can't provide specifics?

Anyway, I'm glad that Roseanne is gone, but I wish the "feckless cunt" woman was gone too because why should racism get a person fired but not sexism? Now there's DeNIro with his obscenity. It's seldom that I agree with Trump, but when Trump called him "low IQ." I thought,that, well, if DeNiro regards "Fuck you" as useful commentary, it really DOESN'T speak well of his intelligence. Maybe he's related to my sleep therapist.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Trump does inspire obscenities but he's (DeNiro) on TV and had plenty of time to plan a speech, he could have come up with something else.

Correlation or causation. Brest fed babies have higher IQs. This is floated out there but low income people rarely breast feed and probably don't do well on IQ tests. Upper and middle class moms are more likely to breast feed.

My daughter was the only one in our county who got WIC and breast fed. Strange.

Snowbrush said...

(DeNiro) on TV and had plenty of time to plan a speech"

Another complaint I had about DeNiro was the implication that it's acceptable to politicize an entertainment event, as if what he had to say was important enough that he could impose it on millions of others. I felt the same way about "taking the knee" by football players. Gosh, guys, you're on the clock here. There used to be a local librarian who wore buttons in support of gay rights while at work. I'm all for gay rights, but not taking political stances while at work for the taxpayer. Make speeches, march in parades, wear politically-oriented t-shirts, and carry picket signs, but don't do it at work. I don't shop at a local store because I don't like their "Hate Free Zone" sign, as if their store had a problem with hate speech.

"Brest fed babies have higher IQs."

Ollie, our four year old male cat who still nurses on Brewsky, our seven year old male, must have heard about that.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Kitties still retain their kneading instinct when they are relaxed. I don't think we were allowed to be political at work though sometimes we had to share offices. One man loved to have Russ Limbaugh on the radio spewing his usual hatred while the worker's office mate was an 'immigrant' and rightfully took offense

Followers

Blog Archive