Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Wasps in my walls

The cleomes, pink,white and purple reseed themselves each year.They smell like skunks but are so pretty
Shanna's family at aEMU football game with their live mascot
I have snapdragons of all colors
despite all my pulling out the seedlings, I still have morning glories of various colors
mums' the word
asters
Bryce canyon taken by my niece

My brother-in-law complained of an animal making noises somewhere under his bed while he was staying here a couple of weeks ago. I chalked it up to all the various systems and fans we have running continuously but then Steve while changing the bedding thought he heard a cat purring under the bed. I didn't hear anything but agreed to do my reading while staying in the room. Soon I heard a crinkling sound high in the walls and then noticed a wet spot in the corner of the ceiling??? I went outside to investigate. The roof seemed fine (plus when has it rained here....weeks!) but under the eaves I saw numerous wasps (or bees, too high up for me to see but I suppose I now can look at their corpses) going in and out. These are tough little suckers as they still seem to be living despite being sprayed numerous times. I am guessing there is an enormous nest of them in the attic (which we have no access to!) and that their combined breathing is causing moisture to accumulate. There are fans and vents in the attic but this area is far from the vents. He has made a dent in their population as I don't hear them scratching around and the wet spot is drying up. Arghhh!

The week of extreme heat is almost over. Hotter than it was in the summer. By tomorrow, a cold front should come in and then maybe I can run comfortably again. I've been doing a lot of biking instead.

And according to the doctor, I am now hyperthyroid (although not much as I don't have any symptoms of it). I guess it would make sense as I am taking the same dose as I did when I weighed more than 50% (!!!@#!) than I do now. How does one determine the dosage? For thyroid medication, the rule of thumb is ones weight times micrograms. By that I am taking slightly too much but wasn't taking enough at my former weight. But a good deal of the weight was non-metabolizing fat. I have not much fat left and I think I gained some muscle. So I now need to be monitored. All I heard about my other numbers was that they were 'good' I was hoping to see if my cholesterol dropped. Theoretically I could pull up my results on two different patient portals but I can't find anything yet.

Daylight is disappearing. I start my Sunday ride 20 minutes before official sunrise covered with flashing lights. I was also trying to beat the heat and traffic. I saw lots of turkeys. Today I saw a dead weasel. Not sure if I ever saw a live one though I've seen mink.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

No access to your attic? Why not?
Sigh on the wasp front. We had a swarm of bees inside the walls at one stage. Not good.
And good luck adjusting your medication. Never fun.

Sandi said...

Call in a professional for that wasp nest! :-( They may need to seal something up.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

We also had wasps. It was not easy to rid ourselves of them and had to call a professional. This is the time of year for them and I am hoping we don't have to go through that again.

Followers

Blog Archive