Tuesday, September 13, 2022

A brief visit to NYC

 My mother in law died a year ago so we had an informal unveiling of her stone in New York. Shanna, Steve and I drove there sharing a brownstone in Bay Ridge with my sister-in-law and her husband

The Goethals Bridge from New Jersey 
Fish tank at the bar in the Sea Witch
Last night together at the sea witch
Shanna and I traveled up to Harlem to have lunch with my niece and then explored the interesting architecture there. Lots of churches 
Lots of nice brownstones

A public school in Sunset Park with murals in English, Spanish and Chinese reflecting the diversity of the neighborhood 


Greenwood cemetery 


From Battle Hill, highest point of Brooklyn overlooking graves and the Manhattan skyline

Uncovered graves
Our group at an Italian restaurant after the unveiling 
Our breakfast place in Bay Ridge
With the veil
Taco truck where we had dinner. Had lots of organ meats pork stomach tacos anyone ? I opted for chicken.  
 
Our rented brownstone was 120 years old. Needs some updating though
Alexander Hamilton 
Interesting mural in the Sea Witch
Alexander Hamilton’s house
We took different subway lines than usual given we were staying in a different neighborhood. apple phones will tell you which lines and stops to take. What it didn’t tell us was that our train was going to speed by our planned stop on the way back
Welcome indeed

Well we had nice weather and it was good to see the family again as it has been more than a year 

One morning I decided to run thinking i was on one road when I really was one another. I managed  to run to the water where there is a path along the Verannazo narrows which I have run on plenty of times  but how to get back. I was unfamiliar with the area. I finally stopped someone who said I was really far away which turned out to be about 25 minutes 

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive