Friday, February 19, 2021

Breaking down

On the coldest morning (minus7) these deer seemed frozen in place on our property line
a foot of snow
Hannah

A few more orchids will bloom soon. Not having good luck with them.


What's breaking down beside the Texas power grid, whose officials had prided themselves for being independent of pesky regulations and preparing for 'what-ifs"


Me. What is crucial to my sanity is being able to exercise but now I am injured with a painful hamstring tear. This happened just I decided not to bury my head in the sand about my weight and face that. Yep I am on my way to becoming fat again though I have been modifying my diet, particularly my drinking in the past two weeks. I can't even walk fast without being in pain nor do a lot of my other exercises. I figured biking would be OK because my hamstrings aren't used in that but then came arctic temps and the permanent foot of snow. So maybe an indoor bike? I quickly found a barely used one near Shanna's house (useful as I needed her van to transport it here). I paid one third of its usual price. It seemed to be in excellent shape until I got it home and noticed I couldn't tighten the seat as a bolt was frozen (we might be able to unfreeze it with penetrating oil) I began to sink into despair again (one pity party after another) but noticed as I use the seat all the way back anyway (freakishly long femurs), I could ride it just fine. Indeed after riding it for 3 minutes, bells went off saying"longest ride ever!"so at least I wasn't lied to about it being barely used. She must have known about the frozen bolt though and neglected to tell me so boo on her. But I can get my heart rate up to almost where it is running so that will help until I can go outside again.


Generally I am in pretty good health (except for that cancer gene). Except in the last 2 months of pregnancy with Shanna, I never have had high blood pressure. I am now on a study administered by the University of Michigan about monitoring for health using an iWatch and a blood pressure machine, were supplied to me. I already had an iWatch but it wasn't new enough so they gave me a new one (and Naomi got one that's only a year old) I also need to do breathing exercises and run EKGs. But this blood pressure monitor most of the time says I have Stage 2 hypertension. Never even when I as fat was it ever above normal. Actually it usually is low. I got permission to take Steve's and his was high on it too (though not as bad as mine) Only today did I get a 'normal" reading surprising as I was really stressed while I was taking it. I tense up now just at the sight of that blood pressure cuff and am getting headaches. About to burst a blood vessel? Carbon monoxide poisoning? Lack of fresh air?I feel that I am falling apart.

Vaccine distribution? All broken. Aside from the state's program to administer through health departments and hospitals (Steve is presumably on 3 different lists, still no word from them), the federal government has started sending them to local pharmacies. As soon as we heard about that, we went on line increasing the distance willing to travel further and further. Pay dirt 40 miles north of us. Fine and dandy. He was supposed to get his first vaccine tomorrow but today was told that the vaccine wasn't shipped in time and made the new appointment 3 weeks from now. We have since found one in 10 days in Ohio (same distance only south)

I did get my 2nd vaccine yesterday so at least I am covered.


Studies are coming out that maybe one could get away with just one vaccine. If there is such a limited supply of vaccine, would it be more ethical to just give one and then twice as many people would be protected although only to the tune of 85% versus 95%.

Within the same hour the other day, I was told both my cruise and my bike ride were canceled. Trying to rebook the  river cruise has been an exercise in frustration.

Our insurance allows us to order over the  counter items. We were told that this drug I ordered would take 2-5 days to come. It is now day 14.
 

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

Sigh.
It never ends does it.
I hope that your hamstring tear heals quickly and completely.
I expect to have my first vaccine shot around July. Hopefully the second will follow quite quickly.

Followers

Blog Archive