Monday, March 19, 2018

A visit to the past

Most of these photos I've posted before. Recently I joined Google photos and they have selected a few of my photos to 'enhance'. These are them except the photo of Cuba from the air. This is Parke County, Indiana. Steve is looking through the window

Alcazar Sevilla, Spain

Montara Beach, CA

Cuba as we flew to Costa Rica

Sharon Mills County Park near my hairdresser's

Rime covered chestnut, my yard

my pond, fake and real flowers

sandhill cranes, Island Lake St. Park

my friend's pond, Holland, MI

Verrazano Bridge, NY 

Brooklyn  Bridge, NY

When I was a high school junior, my best friend and I met a pair of boys a year older than ourselves and we became two couples. I became really good friends with my friend's boyfriend. I think I talked to him much more than my actual boyfriend. When he was 16, he was playing around at his friends house with guns. His friend accidentally shot him in the back instantly paralyzing him from the waist down. He spent 6 months in rehab but was left unable to walk. This didn't stop him from driving his car and his speedboat, the latter he designed and built from scratch. You could not tell it was made by a teenager.  During the first year I knew him, he was hospitalized twice: once for awful bedsores. He had no fat or muscle to protect his skin from his sharp bones. Even though he sat on silicone cushions, his flesh was eaten away. And the other for a kidney infection, common for those catheterized.

We went our separate ways once we went away to college, me making a series of bad boyfriend choices. (two years wasted with this now Trump supporter! Dodged a bullet that time). My once boyfriend was the last person probably drafted though he ended up in Germany versus Viet Nam. I still kept in contact with my friend in the wheelchair and even went to his wedding 6 years after I had met him. I didn't like his wife nor she I apparently as he was no longer allowed to speak to me. Not much I could do about that. Nor did I get a thank you note for my gift.

What happened to these guys? There seemed to be no sign of them in cyberspace. I checked every once in a while. I assumed since my friend had so many health issues when he was young, these would not get better with time so he could very well be dead. But no, he is not as I recently found out. And he is doing well, still working but designing cars versus speedboats. His wife however died when she was only 59. And for my old boyfriend who I wasn't too interested in, he still lives alone in his parents' home (they are dead).

Spring is showing some signs of coming. My bulbs are coming up through the ground. I heard peepers while I rode my bike (finally warm enough after 3 weeks of bitter cold). I am signed up for Medicare and a medigap policy. We get almost 12 hours of light now. Yay!



2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I am glad to hear your friend is doing well. Which must have taken incredible determination.
I wonder who at Google decides which photos to enhance? They used to play with mine too.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I don't even know if there are humans at Google making these decisions. Bots?
Also Apple goes through my phone's photos making 'memory videos' on a regular basis. Some of them are quite good though they occasionally cut heads off. The Apple bots can't tell the difference between Steve and his brother.

Followers

Blog Archive