Thursday, October 31, 2019

Praha

outside the Mosaic hotel which was covered with bright turquoise pigs that lit up at night

the Dancing building aka Fred and Ginger designed 20 years ago by Frank Gehry

beautiful art nouveau buildings everywhere


street lights look like soccerballs

I loved all the details


entrance to St. Charles bridg, very crowded place. Had lots of artists selling their wares on the bridge

lots of statues on the bridge


Kafka memorial

chimney cakes, number one street food. Slowly roasted sweet dough that can be filled with all sorts of gooey stuff Had one in Cesky Krumlov

main square of the old town. I drank some gluhwein (hot spiced wine..not sure of its Czech name)


lots of Thai massage parlors. This one featured fish that nibble off your dead skin on your feet


Charles bridge at night

spiralized fried potatoes. In German, they would spiralize radishes to serve with the wurst


Vaclav Havel building, a Czech hero/poet who led the velvet revolution against the Communists

Kafka head, constantly moving plates that would give different expressions. Near our hotel
On our schedule, I most looked forward to seeing Prague. We had spent the morning in Cesky Krumlov eating a typical heavy Czech lunch complete with enormous bread dumplings which seemed to be to be ten slices of wonderbread rolled tightly into a ball. I couldn't begin to finish them. Also at a given restaurant, they will have only one beer on tap. Budweiser! Fortunately it was much tastier than its watered down cheap, insipid American cousin. But after that lunch, we had had it with Czech food. We'd pick up sandwiches and salads in the little supermarkets. The next night, we ate Italian. Although the train option would not be so harrowing as going from Salzburg to Cesky Krumlov, we opted to take the shared minibus again. We stopped at a McDonalds for a potty/snack break. Big Macs are called 'maestro' there. Very elaborate desserts but  I already had that chimney cake. I did have the best cappuccino  there, individually prepared and decorated for not much although I was making a crucial math mistake in all my calculations most of the time I was in the Czech Republic.
When I first tried to find my hotel on a map, I had a hard time. The streets, all crooked and changing names  every block seemed impossible to follow. But I figured out how to get between the hotel and the train station. The van was supposed to drop us off in front of our hotel. I knew we were on the same side of the river as the dancing house but as we crossed the river away from it, we parked along a square and we were told to get out. I knew what my hotel looked like and didn't see it. This is not it.!  He said it was around the corner, he just can't drive in front of it. Then it would be on a east west street and I know for a fact my hotel was on a north- south street and not anywhere near a square and besides, we are not on the right side of the river. Please, please check. He finally did and it turned out it was another passenger's hotel. As we were the only non Asian travelers, I don't know how he confused our names. He did drop as off next. That would have been a very long walk with our luggage. He was at least apologetic.

But Prague is beautiful.  We walked forever exploring mostly our side of the river.

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

So pigs do fly (at least in Prague.
That second building I find disconcerting. Interesting, but definitely disconcerting.

Followers

Blog Archive