Tuesday, July 9, 2019

in Bruges

early morning bruges  My favorite Bruges photo. We had arrived in the afternoon the day before when all the tour buses were still there and one could barely walk due to the crowds

Wooden buildings are very rare

So our swans (not in Michigan, we have too many)  These are pampered

Such a strange sculpture


Our hotel was in a 400 year old building. I loved the swan staircase

Loved the Bruges buildings


the day before we stopped in a cute town early in the morning for snacks

only 5 of us made the side trip to Damme, a very cute medieval city. We ate across from a storks nest with both parents feeding the babies. Alas, iphones couldn't capture the image 

my veggie omelet. 

our Damme restaurant

more Damme



Bruges

gate to our hotel a block off the main square

Lace and chocolates and waffles are their three big attractions. This chocolate shop featured unusual chocolates. I got a bacon truffle


Very good cherry beer. The brand is Sudden Death

My friends and I at lunch. I have my Sudden Death in hand

I took an afternoon nap so I could finally go out after sunset. The main square

Me with a top purchased at a Bruges bazaar

the hotel hallway

early next morning, an hour taxi ride to Brussels, a flight to Amsterdam then home

Holland


Before this trip, Bruges was always on my bucket list. It was going to be the highlight of the trip I thought. We were always given several options everyday. I usually selected the longer route. If we were willing to put in some extra miles, we could go through a cute medieval town Damme though we were warned it had particularly bicycle unfriendly cobblestones. We ended up walking over them for 10 minutes though most of the people went straight to Bruges so they would have more time there. I am glad the five of us went as we watched the storks while we had lunch. The friend who I had come with was suffering from numerous orthopedic problems so she didn't ride at  all that day.

Bruges was impossibly crowded even on the outskirts as we tried to approach our barge. And it was hot!  We had bicycled in the 50s and 60s all the other days but on this day, it went to 80. I did walk into town before dinner but the crowds made the experience not fun. But as so many people come there by bus as a day trip, they disappear in the evening and early morning. 

No more biking. I had gone 158 miles according to my watch though I missed a few especially that mile under the tunnel. Since I have been home, I have biked 516 miles in anticipation for my bike ride that starts in just a few days, which will be much longer and arduous. We had our big farewell dinner to the barge crew and the trip leaders. We would spend one more night in a hotel in Bruges and then on home.

We did get a tour of the city after breakfast. It is a delightful city.  We could not check into our fancy hotel until late afternoon so more walks. Bought and ate fancy choalates, beer on one of its many nice plazas, lunch near our hotel in a pretty garden. I slept for awhile as soon as I could check in. I get up so early that I never got to see the night lights. Late at night I did a night walk by myself. It was so pretty.

On the plane ride home, I watched In Bruges, which I saw years ago when it came out. Excellent movie.  No more trip talk.  Now back to my life in Michigan


4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

It looks delightful. I would pass on the beer - and on the bacon truffle though.

Anonymous said...

If you are going for finest contents like me, only pay
a visit this web page all the time because it provides feature contents, thanks

Anonymous said...

Using Linux VPS can supply a variety of benefits for customers.
It provides users the flexibility, reliability, management and features of dedicated internet
hosting but is kind of inexpensive. In consequence Shared internet hosting users don't get for that they pay.
Briefly, your entire bodily server is simply yours to use, and
yours alone, in contrast to shared server the
place many people are using the same server at one internet hosting setting.
As we know each server is separate from one another
therefore it may be rebooted simply and at your wish.
You know the way a lot sources you want for any middle
time. Otherwise you do not find out about any issues
with your server may be experiencing. Each server should be versatile, protected and reliable, as are the
devoted servers. VPS is a brand new hosting know-how which is affordable
however still very dependable, flexible and environment friendly.
Best devoted server provider is still standard with massive companies,
who need pace and reliability the most.

Anonymous said...

I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet viewers,
its really really nice post on building up new webpage.

Followers

Blog Archive