Monday, April 30, 2018

Cancer causing shirt

These are popping out all over

I recently bought a new shirt from an actual store instead of the usual thrift store buys. It does look good on me. As I was hanging it up, I noticed a tag:

May cause cancer and/or reproductive difficulties

It  also said that  the State of California made them put the warning on. So what causes the cancer? The dye? The raw ingredients to the synthetic material? Some kind of finish? If I wash it, will the cancer causing ingredient go away? Who knows.  I heard that coffee sold in California needs a similar label.

Also from the State of California: a cold case  involving a serial rapist/killer/ burglar was cracked.  32 years after his last known offense. He was an ex cop with an axe to grind and was very careful to cover his traces but he did leave lots of DNA behind. It was compared to a database of known criminals. Nothing found. But then they ran it in GEDmatch, a database that people could upload their raw data from Ancestry.com and the like and search for relatives. He wasn't in it but some of his close relatives were. Somehow they were able to figure out who he was from that. It hasn't been said how close the relative was.

Also in California: my daughter on vacation so we have Maya for the week. Right now she is in school. A school bus stops right in front of our house goes to her school but we weren't sure how quickly she would adapt to change and whether the school system would allow it for one week so 2 drives a day through rush hour. Fun.

We went for a walk last night to listen to the peepers, which she likes. We came across several neighbors whose houses are deep in the woods that I usually just run right by but we stopped to talk. Maya clammed up and stared at the ground, sever stranger anxiety.

No more freezing nights in the near future! It was below zero yesterday when I left on my big bike ride. How I dress for running is about 20-30 degrees different than for biking. I have been slowly preparing the gardens for spring which is very laborious. Lots to do.

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Cancer causing shirt? I would definitely need more information on that front.
And I hear you on the work that a garden requires. My bones ache.

Snowbrush said...

Below zero! Fahrenheit?! I knew you had been having crap weather, but I didn't know you were having January weather.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

We had the coldest April on record here. April is the cruelest month....

Followers

Blog Archive