Thursday, March 29, 2018

tres leches

A few months back, I bought a collection of fancy fishnets on line. Problem: where do I wear them? I did wear them to our Chosen Sisters group the other night. Also last week I bought 2 skirts. Maybe it was in junior high I last wore a skirt?

I took the kids to the bus stop the other day. Most districts have this week off but not Shanna's. Tessa's backpack weighs almost as much as she does

So cold waiting though the kids run around

So finally, finally something is blooming. Dwarf irises. I do have a lone crocus blooming but it only opens in the sun, which we have not seen in a while

When my friends meet for group, I usually provide dessert unless it is at my house. As soon as I got back from Costa Rica, there was a recipe in the paper for tres leches, which I had maybe too much of in Costa Rica. Chock full of coconut, what's not to like? The 3 milks are, evaporated milk, coconut milk and sweetened condensed milk; all readily available in the tropics. This recipe also called for regular milk in the cake park and whipped cream on top so I guess it would be cinco leches. A mix of the milks and some rum (I chose coconut rum) is allowed to soak into the cake for several hours. Maybe I cooked the cake too long as it didn't absorb much of the milks so it was very sloppy to transport. Even in a box, it managed to get in the box and onto the trunk of the car. I put the whipped cream and garnishes on right before serving. Well it tasted good at least. It made quite a lot so I was able to give some to my kids and to my friend who invited me to dinner the other night.

Our moms' group was fun. A Japanese theme with sushi, miso soup and sake. My Central American dessert didn't quite fit.

What a nasty spring! On the very few days it is warm, it is raining. I've only biked once in the past month and don't have much time to prepare for my big ride.  I do run a lot though. Still haven't gotten any faster but not slower so I guess that is progress. Still haven't lost all the vacation weight so that's frustrating though going out three times this week did not help.

I am relearning Italian in anticipation of a possible trip this fall. Spanish interfered so much. After a very slow start, I am up to 49% competency though I am having trouble with the 'clitive pronouns'

Easter is soon but it will be too cold to have the kids do their hunt outside.

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

Skirts? What is this novelty item of which you speak?

Followers

Blog Archive