Saturday, October 28, 2017

A Night in a Winery (Whinery?)

I am having a hard time with Blogger now. First I can't use it anymore on my iPhone and now even its web based application is all messed up. Can't edit anything. Can't add captions. What is going on? I'll try tomorrow. Back from a week of fun which I may be able to share once I figure out what's wrong with this stupid Blogger. Come on Google, fix this.

The grapes beyond one of our many windows. I did have a tasting of their four wines. Only the one made from wild raspberries was very good. I would have bought it if I could find any of the staff the next day

The place was very old modeled on a Tuscan estate. This fountain doubled as a hot tub, which I visited later

At night the place had zillions of rotating fairy lights. Looked like lots of fireflies. Also music, Italian opeara, was piped in all around even into the rooms

Our room had a chandelier, two sofas, a huge TV, a fireplace and a grand piano

Fortunately it was in the 70s at night. That's me and my wine

It is a day later. After shutting down the computer, I was able to make a few edits before I could not make them any more and then had to shut down the computer yet again. We were on our way to NYC to see Steve's family and  decided to stop on the way to see something new. I looked at places and found this though it was south of the area generally known as the Poconos closer to the Delaware Water Gap near a tiny town called Mount Bethel. We did not go the most efficient way but it was pretty winding through the fall colors along the river with its slate steep cliffs. If it were not raining, I would have stopped for photos. I thought we could take them the next day but visibility was zero then. The rain stopped by the time we found the inn perched on top of a hill on a very winding road.

For me the place was perfect  Large, comfy interesting room with lots  interesting rooms to explore full of  eclectic antiques. Flowers, mainly roses, were still in bloom. Paths led into the vineyards. Lots of places to sit outside including a large stone porch with rocking chairs where we ate breakfast the next morning. We went for dinner in the small town 3 miles away. Very tasty. Houses in the town are built with no front yards. One false move and a car could drive through a house. Roads twisted every which way. No grid to follow as in Michigan. Before dinner, I had some of their wines. One was terrible, two OK but I would not buy them and the raspberry wine was very good. I had brought my own wine which I had a glass of as I relaxed in the hot tub. It was warm enough outside for Steve to sit comfortably near me. I thought the night was magical with Edith Piaf in the background and little lights flickering all over like twinkling stars but Steve was grumpy feeling dysphoric from coming off his meds for the shingles and later complained about little things like no toilet paper holder in the bath room and a fly found in the   room. Can't he ever enjoy anything?

Heavy rain was forecasted for the next morning. Could I get a run in? I left in darkness hoping I could see potholes though the road was smooth. I did not pack my lights. Fortunately I could jump out of the way for the little traffic. It was very hilly and windy. As it was not getting any lighter, I was afraid I would get stuck in a storm but the weather held for awhile. Very pretty and it felt good to be moving after a long day in the car. The day before was the first time I had taken a day off in 7 months. I could have run a bit that day but drank wine instead. We had to wait for a break in the torrential rain to pack our car and off in the pouring rain to The City.
Below is the lobby and hopefully a close-up of an interesting chair
fish eye view of the lobby

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Your time away looks intriguing. I hope blogger stops having a hissy fit soon.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I am still having some issues. Not sure if its Blogger, the browser or my aging computer but I am learning to adapt.

Followers

Blog Archive