Monday, August 14, 2017

Sphinx moth larva

tomato horn worm, larger than my thumb. This one will not be allowed to pupate to a sphinx moth

Josh and family







As I was looking for ripe vegetables, at first I thought it was just some unripe okra but no, it was the dreaded tomato worm. Judging on how few leaves are left, he either was very busy or has friends though I haven't found any more. But they do look cool once they turn into the sphinx hummingbird moth! I only seen them once, back at the old house just after dark, a bunch of them came to feed on my flowers. I didn't know they came from tomato worms. I do have a huge unripe spaghetti squash, larger than a football but still green. Lots of tomatoes, summer squash, chard, kale and tomatillos though.

When I was researching my horn worm, their handy hint to find them is to wait until dark, use a black light. The tomato leaves will fluoresce dark red and the worms will be bright yellow. If only I had a black light..... 

I am now within a pound of my skinny husband.

Yesterday was a perfect day for a long bike ride though I eagerly am waiting for the bridge I use to return. At night, a friend and I sipped wine as the sun went down and the fire flies came out. Finally I was able to get the cauliflower crust pizza. It quickly sells out. There were fire flies on the west coast too (of Michigan, no fireflies west of the Rockies presumably) but they were so much brighter.

Summer is going by way too fast. summer don't leave

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

You really are wasting away...

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Still plenty of me left to love or not

Followers

Blog Archive