Tuesday, June 11, 2019

The Breukelen Brug

our first windmill  I learned after a while not to stop for every windmill especially as I knew the next day we would go to an area with about twenty lumped together. Note road. This is a two way road but is only about two feet wider than one car. Very disconcerting to have cars coming head on  inches away Fortunately not many cars

2nd windmill. I stopped stopping for them. Even though I was probably the most fit cyclist, my continued stopping for photos slowed me down

In our brief 11 mile ride, we managed to go through several towns

cute drawbridge

Should not have stopped as it went up for about 15 minutes. Now I was way behind the pack

The Breukelen bridge


downtown Breukelen  In Amsterdam they called those traffic posts Amsterdammers



Leaving Breukelen The Fiep is moored slightly ahead

our bikes. Heavier than mine with more gears but who needs 27 gears in a flat country

we had our dessert outside on the deck as we sailed into Vianen
We sailed a few hours from Amsterdam to a tiny town of Nigtevecht where we would get off and ride our bikes 11 miles to get used to them. Right off the bat, my seat was too low. I did tell them how tall I was but I have to say that I am even taller as my legs are long for my height. Steve is 5 inches taller than me but I think our legs are the same length. This was adjusted later. We were to preload maps with step by step guides which were huge battery sucks. It took me two days to get used to them though my trusty iwatch is always mapping everything I do and I could potentially rely on that if I had to. The area was too cute for words with windmills, sheep, thatched houses, flower filled gardens Looked like the Cotswolds only flatter and with windmills and lots of canals. As I got stuck behind a drawbridge, I was on my own but I ended up at the boat first because I missed the turn off for a snack stop. I don't need snacks to go 11 miles.

Breukelen was the little town that the sailors first came to the New World landing in Brooklyn and naming it after their hometown.

At the Fiep, we were greeted with shots of some herbal aperitif. We had dinner (steak) as we sailed to our mooring place in Vianen. A nice day.

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

It looks like a DELIGHTFUL day.

Followers

Blog Archive