Thursday, December 13, 2018

Running along the Hudson

a prettier version of a previous photo


detail in a brownstone window

nearby church

this bizarre statue is called the Peace Fountain  In the summer, peacocks run in the yard. They have a blessing of the animals here with people lining up for blocks with their pets

I take a bridge to the island that has Riverbank State Park  This is looking north

And now looking south

The park has several murals


New Jersey and the George Washington bridge

my path which was surprisingly empty

interesting rock sculptures

little red lighthouse

view from under the bridge which has two decks of traffic

view of the Palisades past the bridge. My path abruptly ended though I think I could have run up a steep hill to continue further north. But I saw that steep hill and lazy Sue balked

lower Manhattan to the right

Rockefeller Center. This being Steve's photo as they got lost in Harlem, a mystery to me as they were 3 New Yorkers and the streets are on a grid. I had walked them to the right station the day before but they didn't take note of where it was. I assumed walking a block short of it the next day would not be a problem but it was. The problem: all the numbered avenues change names. They kept looking for 8th avenue which the A train runs up to no avail. Sigh But they got to see the tree so it was a win.

I do like combining running with sight seeing though I didn't take my camera until the last day I was in Harlem. It had been so pretty the day before with the Palisades all aglow in the golden hour, I vowed to get up even earlier so I wouldn't miss the dawn on the river. It took me about 6 minutes to get down there assuming I didn't have to stop much for lights. A few days later I found a strange large bruise on my inner arm that I didn't remember getting. Not a good sign when bruises spontaneously appear and these days I am especially paranoid about new symptoms but after a while I remembered that the case I take the camera in was slightly askew and I must have banged my arm against it while running.  Dawn arrives a full hour earlier in NY than at our house plus the streets are lit. Not here, total darkness for miles. Bonus, it is usually 5- 10 degrees warmer . It was actually too warm one day (it would have been fine if I had shorts and a short sleeved teeshirt) which brought out dog walkers. Yeah dogs have to walk everyday but their owners wouldn't stop so much to socialize and leave a tangle of moving leashes for me to negotiate. This was on the upper Westside. I could see the campuses of Banard and Columbia so it was scenic but once I found the magic trail down to the river, no more dogs leashes. And anybody excepting this fast moving e-bike threatening to mow me down.

Once my niece had another person to keep her company, I took most of my stuff Thursday on a subway to Downtown Brooklyn (which is considerably north of where my in-laws live). I couldn't take everything so we had to stop in Harlem on the way home. We were meeting up for a late lunch with one of Steve's cousins. I was left on a street corner for a half hour. Usually not a problem but it was cold and my mobility was impaired by all the stuff I had. Should have gone directly to the restaurant...Should, should should.

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

Love the beauty you captured and shared. My partner has less than no direction sense. I am always amazed while he is away that he doesn't get seriously lost.
Bruises? I always have them and rarely know where they come from.

Followers

Blog Archive