Thursday, June 8, 2023

Alaska

 It’s been a while since I have published. I’ve been traveling and working hard to get my gardens in. Almost done with that

We went to the Norwegian town of Poulsbo where they were have a Viking festival 

Starting off on a kayak ride in the Puget Sound. A beautiful clear day. We could see the Olympic mountains 

All was great until we turned and faced a strong current and no place to take the kayaks out  One step forward, ten back


Pike’s market
Seattle art museum. I unfortunately fell as I was taking this picture as I didn’t see some silly grate on the sidewalk 
In Sitka we went to a bear refuge. Sitka brown bears. inland they are called grizzlies. They look cute but wouldn’t want to meet one in the wild
We went to a Big Lebowski festival in Bremerton. Drank Caucasians 
Fancy lighting in Victoria BC
A wharf in Victoria 
Orca sculpture. We saw bits of them while on the cruise



In Victoria they had an area of cute floating homes


On the ship they had elaborate light shows wit dancers. We saw two of these. 
Ketchikan. I think I liked this one the best of the 3 Alaskan cities we went to
Every place had Tlingit totem poles
Salmon ladder
Salmon sculpture in Ketchikan 
These colorful buildings in Ketchikan used to be whorehouses but now are restaurants and shops
Sitka harbor 
In Sitka we went to a tide pool exhibit. You were encouraged to gently touch the creatures. Anemones and sea urchins would squeeze in on your fingers if you touched them
This is called a basket starfish 

We went to the Sitka raptor center which saves mainly eagles. We saw plenty in the wildlife 
Also took a walk in the lush rain forest in Sitka. Ketchikan gets 200 inches a year. Our place gets 35 but for the past 3 weeks, we have gotten nothing. A horrible draught 
View from our balcony. Never had one before 
We went up to 60 degrees longitude to see the Hubbard glacier. It looks small but is 70 miles long and 350 feet tall
From my map app.  The blue dot is our ship in Disenchantment Bay
You can see the glacier. Lots of ice in the

Mural in Juneau 
Juneau 
The ship hires a naturalist to give lectures about wildlife and to point on whales. Everyone was eager to see one. Lots of screaming and running towards the spotter. The main whales are orcas, humpbacks and grays. Saw parts of them all

I was on this same ship 11 years ago  They have updated it since
Back at the Viking festival 
Sunrise on Puget sound
Steve’s sister and her husband 
Bremerton is a naval base and has los of shipyards which have nice parks in front of them
The mild climate in Bremerton is good for beautiful flowers. I love wisteria 
Their patio. Can watch the river otters swim by 
We had to cross the Tacoma Narrows bridge to get from the airport. It’s predecessor many years ago was sent in motion by the wind and bad design and collapsed. We saw a movie about it in physics class
Flying to Seattle 

Also I received a message from blogger that one of my posts violated community standards. I don’t know if all my posts are now marked obscene or just the one I wrote more than ten years ago. I had just gotten a new iPhone and was trying to write an email by voice My email address starts with ‘spudpug’ but Siri heard ‘buttp**g’

Not sure why that word is in Siri’s dictionary and why someone complained   I have seen worse  But it does make me less enthusiastic about blogger

In May we went on an Alaskan cruise starting in Seattle visiting Steve’s sister first who lives now across the sound right on the water. After the cruise  We went back to her place hoping to meet up with their NYC brother but he canceled

4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

You have been doing lots of amazing travels. I hope you were not hurt when you fell.

Snowbrush said...

Finally, you take a trip to a place that our paths have crossed.

Two or three posts ago, I wrote about heterosexual male attitudes toward women, and that post got the kind of "community standards" warning that you're talking about. I was saddened because it was in no way a vulgar post, but rather a serious explanation of a serious subject. I know a blogger who vulgarly curses throughout most of her posts. Her profanity is nothing but a waste of her readers' time, yet Blogspot is fine with it. Based upon my knowledge of you, I can't imagine you posting anything that anyone would consider worthy of a warning. Like you, I wondered if all my posts were going to carry a warning now. The answer is no, and this post that you wrote didn't come with a warning.

Anonymous said...

I love the Pacific Northwest and have visited it many times. A few years back I came close to Eugene on I5 going between Seattle and San Francisco. I did visit Kris once in Portland who occasionally comments on both our blogs
Yes I was taken back as I don’t mean anything sexual. Just a bizarre autocorrect
I am not above swearing though I am trying to stop. I don’t think I swear in the blogs

Anonymous said...

I sort of stretched a hamstring which made running downhill painful for a week or so but I am running pain free for the moment. Having too many falls…

Followers

Blog Archive