Saturday, April 18, 2020

how to pass the time

We had a snow storm yesterday. April 17th. Fortunately it started after my run

I have been putting some of my photos up for sale on a stock photo site. I sold another one this week. Now I can buy 3 cups of coffee. Yay! Both photos were of New York. Above are some of what they have accepted: a mix of San Francisco, my house, Antwerp and Ghent


So week 5 of our quarantine. When will it end? Well it will last even longer no thanks to our brainless leader urging his minions to protest stay at home orders by showing up in their states' capitals en masse toting guns, blocking hospital entrances, clearly being within 6 feet of each other. The good news, such as it is, was that there seemed to be only 3000 of them. So if that's all that he can muster...And I wish there could be a law that these people will be refused treatment for putting themselves (and everybody) in danger. They do look like an unhealthy bunch, overweight, smoking...

Karma. One of those holy roller ministers who insisted on having his church open for business as God would protect them died of the virus.

It's been 2 weeks since I have been in a car. Rumor has it that gas is only $1.10 a gallon.  I have been out: running and biking. I do have my phone on me when I bike. I see that our movements are being monitored. Hopefully they can tell the difference between biking and driving and that I never seem to stop anywhere. Steve goes out to fetch food even bringing take-out one night. How small our world has become! My annual bike ride has been canceled for July. My Danube river cruise likewise.  I finished my French lessons and am reviewing German. I get very annoyed with myself when I forget things. As for Dutch all I remember is sinaasappelsap, orange juice.  I will pick up Italian again I guess.

Weird droppings have appeared on our patio seeming to be goose poop. Although there are no shortage of geese around, there is nothing to attract them to our patio. Then on an early morning run I found our local turkey flock a few houses over with the male strutting his stuff as it is spring. Apparently they are after the bird seed. I want to get a photo of the male fanning. Turkeys usually scatter when they see me but a male full of hormones probably will be less wary.

I got one of my chickadees to eat out of my hand. The snowbirds (juncos) are still here. Still winter I guess.

Steve's uncle would turn 99 this year. Would if he didn't have covid. Health care workers need to be tested but as many of them have to take public transportation, it is impossible to keep them safe.



6 comments:

Snowbrush said...

"no thanks to our brainless leader urging his minions to protest stay at home orders by showing up in their states' capitals en masse toting guns, blocking hospital entrances..."

And don't forget waving American flags and the occasional Confederate flag.

I suppose you must like snow better than I, but since I absolutely hate snow, it would be hard to NOT like snow better than I.

Elephant's Child said...

Isn't it an amazing privilege to be able to hand feed birds?
And yes, I saw that the 'holy' man had died and wonder how many of his congregation he infected first.
I also saw the trumpster's dangerous tweets. Huge sigh. And hopes that they don't overwhelm the facilities in their states later. And also hoping that they only infect themselves.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I am not a fan of snow. We used to get quite a bit more so I cross country skied quite a bit. The skis are worn out. May be I will buy some new ones though my balance isn't as good as it used to be. The next day after our snow storm I biked pass a yard with 3 enormous snowmen and kids playing by them in shorts It was 55

As for our brainless protesters, they interviewed a few of them asking if they were afraid of catching the virus. Most of them said that God will protect them as they were Christians I won't shed a tear at their deaths. Hopefully they will stay home praying for a cure instead of going to the hospital.Stupid ignorant people!

Snowbrush said...

"Most of them said that God will protect them as they were Christians I won't shed a tear at their deaths. Hopefully they will stay home praying for a cure instead of going to the hospital. Stupid ignorant people"

I've reached a turning point by thinking that it will be a good thing if these Bible-thumping Trump supporters die. I find it interesting that the demonstrations started within days of it coming to light that black people are in much more danger of dying from the virus. This interview that compares yellow fever to Covid-19 might interest you: https://news.stanford.edu/2020/03/25/new-outbreak-familiar-anxieties/.

If you want to know more about the fascinating disease called yellow fever read this:
https://news.wsiu.org/post/how-yellow-fever-turned-new-orleans-city-dead#stream/0

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Covid is certainly proving deadly to the black people of Detroit. I assume the Branch Covidians with their twisted logic think they are safe because they are white. But it does strike overweight, smokers of both races. Fortunately, for our black population, they rarely come into direct contact with these idiots as they live in completely different places. The Thumb (which brought us Tim McVey) is a hotbed of Trumpets along with a good swatch of the western part of the state. We do have a few among us. I belong to this neighborhood list serve. A member was furious because he was using it to publicize the Lansing rally and the notice was taken down. Sadly he had a few supporters. Facebook now is refusing to advertise these rallies which Donald Trump Junior finds despicable.

Snowbrush said...

Oregon is to have its first demonstration on May 2. After all that time and planning, I would assume a turnout of about 400, but it will be interesting to see.

I hadn't heard about Facebook refusing to advertise demonstrations. I wonder why, given their previous willingness to broadcast easily proven--and destructive--lies.

Followers

Blog Archive