Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Enduring winter

the farm near us is all lit up at night

Michigan theater is so pretty inside Bonus, an organ recital before our movie

Healthy salad in our cooking class includes fennel. Another salad was a mix of persimmons, dates and pomegranates

last full moon of the year

my niece's photo of the new Hudson Yard building in Manhattan

Sculpture that my friend who died in August willed to me. Met up with her daughter the other day to retrieve it

immature red tail hawk sat in our tree for a long time

finally found a black light to see if my amber necklace is real It has the blue glow it is supposed to have. I thought there would be a black light in all those 'bernstein' stores we saw in Europe. Nein. Maybe they didn't want their amber tested.
My least favorite season hasn't officially begun but the snow storm more than a month ago that made exercising outside impossible made it winter too early for me. Fortunately although it is still cold, the roads are clear and I am finally improving my running both in speed and distance. I was able to bike a little too but now my brakes have seized up. Ugh so many things broken around here. Water heater, this computer (though I now have a replacement but need to transfer files), my iwatch is acting funky as is my iPhone. Steve did get me a new iwatch for our anniversary but when I opened it, the box contained only the charger and half a watch band. Obviously it was stolen in the warehouse or by the delivery person. Money will be refunded but unless I want a much more expensive watch, it will have to wait. And numerous things in Naomi's condo, that we own , need attention.

In the summer, I have no time for movies or tv watching ( I thought I would spend sometime doing that while recovering from my surgery but didn't) but we are spending some time dong it now. Chernobyl was great though very scary as a lot of the disaster was caused by a government that wanted to bury its head in the sand and deny everything, ignore science, etc sort of like our current government. Saw some of the Watchman and currently  watching The Crown, a good history lesson for me.  Aside from JoJo Rabbit I saw Knives Out in the theater  it is a mystery, I usually don't like those kind but this one was very entertaining.

I did go to a series of Christmas craft fairs to get gifts which was fun, been seeing grandbabies and friends.

7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Stunning photos today.
HOW I envy your winter.
We will be at or above 100 for the next three or four days and the air is still shrouded in smoke.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Well I wouldn't like that much heat or the smoke. I hope you are safe

Unknown said...

Your niece's photo looks a lot like Escher Staircase to nowhere

Snowbrush said...

"Least favorite"--might that fall under the heading of euphemism? I know, in theory, that once the daylight-deprived season starts heading back in the other direction, my mood should lift, but somehow the holidays help me survive December, and when they're gone, the gray and drizzle take over my mood, and I start seriously looking forward to the mid-February appearance of my favorite flower, the daffodil.

Snowbrush said...

I wonder if that Yard Building was consciously inspired by the work of Escher.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Daffodils in February? Not in this frozen tundra. If we are lucky, we will see snowdrops and crocuses in March. April we might see daffodils which I have 5 or 6 kinds on my property. I have some narcissus that I am forcing to bloom inside which are almost ready to open. I might see the Escher inspired building in person in the next few days as we will make a trip to see one of Steve's relatives for the last time.

Snowbrush said...

"Daffodils in February? Not in this frozen tundra"

And crocuses in late January! I feel for you, and because I spent two years in Minneapolis, I have an inkling of what your weather is like, although Mpls only got four feet of snow a year. The good thing about an early Spring here is mild weather and flowers. The bad thing is that the drizzle continues. The Pacific Northwest is infamous for its gray skies and drizzle, and that infamy is deserved. On the bright side, summers are mild and the humidity is low, but whereas it rains all winter, it doesn't rain at all during the summer, so the grass turns brown, and the trees start dropping their leaves. I'm talking about the Willamette Valley, the eastern two-thirds of Oregon (and Washington) being desert.

Followers

Blog Archive