Wednesday, June 5, 2019

day or two of museums

Bikes

and more

pretty mosaic in the Pijls district 

chair in the Rijks museum lobby

Rijks ceiling

It as the last week of a Rembrandt exhibit we had to get there early to get a timed ticket
This is the story of Susannah being blackmailed to have sex with these guys


baby stung by bee



distorted me



this was the focus of the main exhibit in the Stedelijk museum

have no idea what these are

pretty house outside Vondel park

we ate lunch at a cute cafĂ© in the ark on the water  Pretty pigeon

bridge decoration

from the FOAM photography museum  These 4 sisters were photographed in intervals over 40 years. At least one of them is my age

40 years later

although the museum is in old canal house, the inside is quite modern

Onto the Loon museum owned by the owner of the Dutch East Indies trading company. Very wealthy

nice garden

I had a snack: appel taarte is the Amsterdam standard. As it is full of marzipan, I liked it

Loon again

more canals. I was staying near the Prinzengracht






 We bought a museumkaart that gave admission to 5 museums out of a possible thirty or so. It would have included the Anne Frank house but we needed to by tickets well in advance on line. So over the remaining two days, I went to the Rijks, Van Gogh,the Stedelijk,  the FOAM and the Loon. I ran out of time or I would have gone to the science museum. My friend was museumed out so I went to the last two alone. Amsterdam is quite lovely. I did walk a lot. Fortunately we had great weather. We tried to eat outside by a canal as much as possible For lunch one day we went to the Vondel Park, their answer to Central Park. Tried different beers. I had brought a box of wine for our room but we didn't finish it even after 10 days. Our hotel had an elaborate buffet featuring baby pancakes, dutch cheeses, lots of fruits, breads and meats. They served cookies for breakfast. They had an orange juice machine that squeezed the oranges in front of you so it was fresh. Sinasaappelsap/ Try saying that fast 5 times

One night my companions choose to explore the Redlight district and the coffeeshops. As it was quite far away, they came back on a bike taxi. I opted to catch up on my sleep. I did walk through it on the way to our barge in the middle of the day. So sad seeing barely dressed women in the windows.

1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

Wow. My partner loved Amsterdam, though I doubt he was as active as you.

Followers

Blog Archive