Thursday, October 18, 2018

Bunny faces

Allie and Maya both chose to be bunnies at a Fire Station open house

Then on to a park. It was so cold in the morning making my bike ride not pleasant but it warmed up later


Josh pushing the girls

A frost was coming so I quickly picked what was left. I only cut down a third of the rhubarb. Should have taken it all as it is collapsed with 2 nights of frost

we've been having nice sunsets

Picked the acorn squashes before the frost. They are now part of a red lentil-smoky paprika squash soup

Went treasure hunting. I love iridescent glass

and this beautiful felted purse

I went through old wedding photos to see if I could find the man who helps at our cancer cooking class. I found him but he doesn't remember the wedding or me. This was 12 years ago, before cancer for 3 of us. Josh has since remarried. These are The Moms who will come to dinner tomorrow

I hate it when the first frost comes. All my beautiful flowers especially my dahlias are now wilted. Some effort was made digging up the dahlia tubers and the gladiolas bulbs as they are temperature sensitive. I picked a bunch of peppers and squash too. All that remains is Swiss Chard which is fairly hardy and Brussel Sprouts which I will harvest in a few weeks. What I made a mistake about was deadheading all my cosmos and zinnias. Now I have no seeds for next year. Dumb.

Even dumber was not looking where I was going on a bike ride this morning. It was sunny and clear but I was looking down. I hadn't noticed that a tree branches had fallen over the road and I hit 3 inch thick branches hard almost falling. I banged up my knee and my leg hurt for the rest of the ride but I didn't knock the wheels out of alignment or fall.

A week ago, it was uncomfortably hot to run. This has changed. I can run in any temperature as long as I am not slipping on ice but bicycling is uncomfortable below 45. I will have to find a gym. My geezer insurance pays for some of them but I would prefer a track versus treadmills.

We had Maya all weekend entertaining her with visits to cousins, Shanna's family Saturday and Josh's family Sunday. In between this, I tried to help her read. There is a list of 500 words she needs to know on sight by the end of 2nd grade. At best she knows 30% of them. I did go to her parent teacher conference. No behavior issues at all, a sweet girl but about a year behind academically. She does have good handwriting. I did like the teacher. So far, she has gotten good teachers. She goes to the same school my kids did though some of my kids' teachers were awful.

Subject of this month's cooking survivor class Meals with spiralized vegetables. I had a very cheap spiralizer which required more effort than it was worth. I now will have the same one the teacher has. We spiralized zucchini, yellow squash, butter nut squash, carrots and cucumbers  fairly quickly. We could make flat noodles or spaghetti of different thicknesses. As part of my maintenance diet is to avoid starches, these will replace that.

Tomorrow I will host the Moms'. Butter shrimp is on the menu.



2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

You are always so busy you put me to shame.
Love that glass dish.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I am a sucker for pretty glass

Followers

Blog Archive